Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
mzsooz

Oh yes. Many years ago we bought this really cool plant for our desert rock garden. this year it was at an all time glory. Turned out to be a ground cover that started taking over our yard. One day DH decided to thin it out and became very ill. His eyes were burning so badly and they almost were swollen shut. And anywhere on his body where he had touched himself even after a shower (and yes...even there!!) started burning and stinging. This lasted for about 4 days.

One day at work he noticed this flyer posted on the wall about this noxious weed that was invading Utah and lo and behold there was a photo of our wonderful ground cover!! Turns out it is very dangerous and against the law to now have in your yard. It causes blisters, burning and can even cause blindness!

Well, it took several days to purge our yard of this and my DH and SIL had to wear all kinds of protective gear to get rid of this stuff. This stuff is so good at reproducing itself that we will be battling it for a long time as it has dropped seeds everywhere :(

I'm including a photo in case some of you unknowingly have some in your yard. It does well in many of the western states.

It is called Myrtle spurge and sometimes gopher spurge because it repels gophers. I wondered where all our gophers went! I thought our sonic things had finally started working :lol: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95139.jpe  
Attached Images