View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Lori S

Originally Posted by ammorgan
I watched that video tutorial, thanks for posting it.

I do my cutting with the ruler really differently than she does! I have my fabric folded in half twice, because my mat is only 18x24, but I overlap the 0 on my mat a little bit, line my clear ruler up with that 0 and cut there to get my fabric even. Then I look for say the 5 on my cutting mat, line my ruler up with that 5 and then cut to the right of the ruler, where it looked like she was using the 5 on the clear ruler to see where to cut. But I'm also sliding my ruler from right to left, instead of left to right like she was doing.
I slide mine the same as you do( that part is personal preference). I had a mat the same size as yours and I made more V and W cuts because I could not always see the lines as well. It is important when you are lining up the fabric on the mat to have it line up all the way down the line ( when you first put it on the mat , if your mat is 24 inches use as much of the mat to make that first "line -up". Using only a few inches really can get the fabric off - of a "true" straight.