Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting a straight strip? >

Cutting a straight strip?

Cutting a straight strip?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 AM

The "hang test" (walking the selvages back and forth to get it straight) was one of the best things I ever learned.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

one thing not mentioned here is that you need to frequently to make sure the end being cut is still straight.
One recommendation, depending on how wide your strips are is to remeasure about every 6 or so inches. And always line up for the cut with the fold in the fabric and NOT the line on the cutting mat.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM

I am soo glad this post was put up - I have had some trouble too and I know alot more than I did before - The "old way" is always a sure bet to me Thanks again cheryl :thumbup:
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM

I turn my mat so it is longer than it is wide, therefore I only have to fold my fabric once. I also lay my ruler on the fabric and line another ruler up against it with that ruler lined straight across the fold. Then I know my first ruler is straight. then I make the first cut and know that it will be straight.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
Hold your fabric up-salvage to salvage, now move the front salvage piece left to right- right to left, until the fabric looks straight from side to side. If you see little waves in it, it is not straight. It takes a little practice, but it helps. I find that more than a yard or so is a bit much to hold. I also found that if I press out the middle fold, the fabric will fall straighter. Good luck.
I do this after my fabric is washed and dried. Smoothing from the middle to the edges is a definite! I have done this with as much as 4 yards of fabric, all spead out on the (vacuumed) carpet. It IS easier when you have someone else on the other end!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
Hold your fabric up-salvage to salvage, now move the front salvage piece left to right- right to left, until the fabric looks straight from side to side. If you see little waves in it, it is not straight. It takes a little practice, but it helps. I find that more than a yard or so is a bit much to hold. I also found that if I press out the middle fold, the fabric will fall straighter. Good luck.
This is also how I do it.