Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting a straight strip? >

Cutting a straight strip?

Cutting a straight strip?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Actually, it doesn't matter how the edges of the fabric are lined up. All that matters is whether your ruler is a perfect 90 degrees from the fold. Any deviation from 90 degrees will result in a "V" at the fold.

Once I line up my cutting ruler, I check its trueness to the fold by butting up another ruler to it. If the first ruler is true, the second ruler should line up perfectly with the fold for its entire length. If it doesn't, I adjust both rulers until my cutting ruler is perfect.

If you think about it, you realize that you can also cut bias strips this way. How the ends of the fabric line up don't really matter in terms of getting a straight strip without the "V" at the fold. Grainline is a separate issue from the dreaded "V" at the fold.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
Hold your fabric up-salvage to salvage, now move the front salvage piece left to right- right to left, until the fabric looks straight from side to side. If you see little waves in it, it is not straight. It takes a little practice, but it helps. I find that more than a yard or so is a bit much to hold. I also found that if I press out the middle fold, the fabric will fall straighter. Good luck.
This is basically the way I do it and I've never (knock on wood) had a 'v' cut. Works every time.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 PM

I beg to differ on grainline and 'v' being different issues. The object of both is to have the cut be straight on grain.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 AM

I tried several ways of cutting & always had too many V strips.Then...started using my June Taylor slot ruler.Poor thing had been waiting a couple yrs to be needed.Shame on me! It works great & my strips are straight !
Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6
I beg to differ on grainline and 'v' being different issues. The object of both is to have the cut be straight on grain.
I thought the question was how to prevent the dreaded "V" in a cut strip. I can cut a strip from fabric folded on the bias and not have a "V" at the fold. The strip is perfectly straight, but not on the straight-of-grain.

If the question had been how to cut a strip on the straight-of-grain, my answer would have been different.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the tips everyone
Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

It really irritates me when the raw edges aren't straight. I have lost a lot of fabric that way. I always line up my selvages.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Here I go referring to the old Home Ec. class again. Seemed we learned a lot in the dark ages.

If you REALLY need to have straight of grain, you can always pull a thread and cut. Just start at a salvage edge and clip in, pull a thread loose and pull and pucker it gently until it breaks. It will leave a little line you can follow and you can do that all the way across the piece. Takes a little time, but in garment making, getting the grain straight was crucial as to how those full gored skirts would hang. I still use it for my quilt pieces if my fabric is wonky in relation to the salvage. It will probably amaze you how much it is off. :roll: :lol:
Old 08-14-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
Hold your fabric up-salvage to salvage, now move the front salvage piece left to right- right to left, until the fabric looks straight from side to side. If you see little waves in it, it is not straight. It takes a little practice, but it helps. I find that more than a yard or so is a bit much to hold. I also found that if I press out the middle fold, the fabric will fall straighter. Good luck.
This is critical. You really need to look and see. If in doubt then cut just a sliver off the material, open it up and check if it is straight.

ali
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 AM

I use the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler JT-703. Haven't had a "V" since.