View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 PM
tooMuchFabric

Right on.

Originally Posted by JJs
A friend and I were talking about this awhile ago. She has the magazine with the article in it and is flabbergasted at the whole thing. She is now rethinking even being in any quilt shows and/or making quilts that someone MIGHT buy. Her thinking is only use her own designs (like I already do).
As far as I'm concerned some of these "designers" can take a flying leap - if they are so scared that somebody might make a quilt from their pattern (oh duh, isn't that what patterns are for??) and sell said quilt without paying them a royality then they are NOT in the pattern design business because they are creative and need an outlet, they are just greedy.
If I want to make a quilt from someone else's design I'll buy the book or pattern to do so, but right about now, I can't see that happening.
OTOH I'm not making quilts to sell - I make them for my own enjoyment and to GIVE to my kids, grandkids, great-grands etc.
The one I did for consignment I "made up" on my own - I did not use a set pattern - I did use public domain blocks.
I just checked the copyright information in the EQ7 book and I think I'll be using EQ exclusively for designing my own quilts.
Unless you use one of the specifically copyrighted block disks (sold separately) then quilts you design are YOURS....

I think it's disgusting that these so-called designers are stiffling people - I was amazed that my friend feels she can no longer use patterns that are 'out there' for download or to buy or whatever.

The whole idea behind quilting was SHARING blocks - and people made their own quilts from those blocks...

Some of the magazines and books lately have some gawd awful ugly quilts in them that I wouldn't 'copy' on a bet so think these designers are really reaching to come up with something 'new' they can lay claim to....

(the EQ7 copyright info is on page 4 of the book)

Another thing that blows me away is when some 'designer' copies a design from somebody else or uses an OLD public domain design and does something then claims the design - that's disgusting and they should be zapped by lightning LOL