View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
catrancher

Before I go on, I want to give credit for this design to:

Original art © Maren Schaffner

Maren has graciously given me permission to use her design to make a quilt for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. This is the first time I've done this. By that I mean, I created a transparency and then a drawing. Then I made templates and fused them to the background. Now I'm using thread to add texture. My question is this: Where the large cat's white bib is, I've used black thread and sort of "scribbled" to give it texture. I'm thinking that I should do the same thing now with white thread to give it even more texture.

And then . . . should I do it again with gray? And what about the smaller cat? Should I do it the same? Or different?

I'm thinking the white will extend out into the black, whereas the black is invisible. It seems that it would give it a more fur-like texture, but I don't want to overdo it. I'm a complete beginner at this kind of a quilt, and so I'm not sure what I'll get. Also, I'm going to do some thread work in the smaller cat's ears and a little on it's body--some shading. And then I think it'll be finished except for adding the borders.

Maren's design was on a greeting card. I'd post a picture of the greeting card, but I'm not sure about how copyright works, and I don't want my post to get deleted. I'll tell you this though. I forgot that I had to reverse the drawing, so my quilt is a mirror image of what the greeting card was. (Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell anybody.)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97478.jpe