View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM
moonwolf23

Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by nena
Ok I have a question. I was trying to get my daughter into quilting. sent her a couple of sites to look at. I also saw a beautiful quilt someone had done ,and copy and pasted it in a email so she could see how beautiful it was ,and maybe get interested in quilting. I received and email telling me to be careful because I had did something wrong ( still don't know what) about infringement???? So now I just dont send anything much because I am afraid I will do something wrong? Go figure. It had to be from this board or one other
because that is all I go on. If it was here please let me know what it was. Thanks
I offered once to sell a pattern I had used at a reduced price. The designer actually got on the board and told me it was a copyright infringement and illegal. Looking back on it, it was a ridiculous claim. I bought the pattern and as long as I'm not making a profit (I wasn't--I was selling it for less than I'd paid for it), I can do whatever I want with it. It's a little like buying a gift for someone. Just because someone tells you you're doing something wrong doesn't mean that you are, and it doesn't mean they're right. Don't be intimidated. And realistically, is someone ACTUALLY going to come after you? Hardly. It would be too expensive, not to mention the hassle.

I understand artists now coming after people for pirated DVDs and CDs. That's a totally different story. Those folks are pirating thousands, even tens of thousands, of items. In that case, it would make sense to go after a person. But for a one or two time offense? Come on! I'm not advocating knowingly infringing on someone's copyright, but no one should be afraid of innocently posting something out of the goodness of your heart.
I believe selling patterns that you own is like selling books that you own. It's not illegal, any more then half price books selling books is illega.