Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by quilter53
Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by quilter53
What kind of stabilizer do you use when emb. motifs. I am doing it thru all 3 layers that is, after the top, batting and backing are together. What do you find is easiest to remove after it's finished. I usually do my emb., on other things, unhooped with sticky stabilizer. Hooping is so hard but if that is best that is what I will do. I practiced with a sample and I used the fix before and it held all 3 layers together fiine. It's just so hard to peel off the back. Do you wash it after the quilt is finished. Sorry so many questions just trying to find the best way.
thanks
So here's what I do; since this is my favorite method of quilting. I put sticky back stabilizer in my hoop, preferably an inch or two larger than the design I'm stitching. Then I cut out the middle where the stitching will be, remove the paper backing, exposing the sticky stuff. I set my machine so it is at the center point of the design and lay the quilt down so the center point is where I want it to be. Then I pin the quilt through the sticky stuff on the four sides to make sure it doesn't shift. Then I stitch away, staying at the machine so I can keep an eye on it in case it does try to shift. If you want, I can try a tutorial to show you. Or at least post some pictures of how I do it.
I can see what you are saying. I have a fix on my D1. I wonder if I do that instead of pinning would it work.
Well, the way I do it the fix won't do any good, because the stabilizer is outside of the embroidery field. I hate having to remove that sticky stuff from the fabric. I put a diagonal chalk mark from corner to corner to find the center. I use the 1 1/4" quilters pins for the pinning, gives me more pinning area than short ones.