View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Ruby Y Campos

WHO TAUGHT ME TO QUILT? I grew up sitting next to my mother quilting. That was the hand quilting part. Did not start piecing until much later. My mother all winter long had quilts in the frame in our living room (no TV in those days)
WHAT PATTERN FIRST QUILT? I started out making a small wall hanging that I still have hanging in my dining room, a white center quilted in cross hatch and circle of feathers (my mother's favorite). Around the center with gray flying geese. I do have a Fan Quilt that my grandmother made we think in the late 1800's or early 1900. She passed away in 1933. It is truly a treasure.
WHAT DO I DO WITH MY QUILTS? I have kept most of the big ones, however I have not made many. I still have many that need quilting and don't have the time to hand quilt them, and can't decide to have the machine quilted. I have been commissioned to do a large wall hanging for a co-worker 8 yrs ago.
GUILD--No, but I have done several block of the month at a couple different LQS and that is how I got my experience in piecing. I have arranged and guided our church to get involved in quilting. We have put 2 quilts as a congregation together, hand quilted and then loaned to members that are grieving, ill or struggling in their life. They are returned, laundered and waiting if someone else needs 'comfort' from the community.
ENTER IN A SHOW-Right now I would never do that, but I do like to go to shows and get ideas of what I would like to try next.
ENCOURAGE OTHERS--Yes, I am always trying to get others involved in quilting.
WHY--Like others have said, therapy. I can get lost and forget the world around me when I am alone in my sewing room.