Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about you!

There are so many wonderful quilters out there that I thought I'd play "Tell Me About...." I'm sure there are some fascinating quilting stories!

Who taught you how to quilt?

What pattern was the first quilt you made?

Do you still have your 1st quilt?

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why?

What do you do with the quilts you make?

What is the oldest quilt in your collection?

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops?

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair?

Have you encouraged others to try quilting?

Why do you quilt?

Blog Entries
    wow, that's a lot of questions!lemme think.....

I'm self taught. I made up my first quilt. It was a nickle quilt. That first quilt still lives in my house, but I haven't seen it inyears. My DD adopted it, and it disappeared into her room. Picking my favorite quilt is like picking a favorite kid. Too may to choose from :) I have 6...kids that is. If I have to choose it would be the one I'm working on. So far all of my quilts are for my family, and they all still live at home. After my parent passed, I inherited my grand mother's quilts. If I were to quess, The ones I have would be about 40 or so. I belong to guild, but I just joined 3 months ago. And yes, I have encouraged others, but sadly they haven't decided yet. So, I still need a good buddy to sew, shop, laugh and quilt with. And finally, I quilt because it feeds my soul.

I took a class at a local fabric shop.

Rail Fence.

My oldest granddaughter (17) has my first quilt.

A king size Tulip Log Cabin done in shades of rose, green and ivory is my favorite. I have always loved pinks and greens together. I followed a pattern for some of the quilt but did some improvising as well and made it my "own".

I display them or give them as gifts.

My first quilt, 19 years ago.

I belong to a small guild, attend workshops and go on quilt retreats once a year.

I have been encouraged to do so but have never entered a quilt in anything.

Yes, I have gotten several friends into quilting.

I find quilting to be relaxing, it is my "therapy".

I agree, quilting feeds the soul.

My Mom took a quilting course, and taught my grandmother and me.

An Amish 9-patch. I loved it in the book, but when I put it on my bed the black made my room look too dark, so I gave it to my brother for Christmas

No, it lives with my brother so I can visit it when I want! :)

My Scrap Ohio Star. I love the fact that there are bits of so many sewing projects I worked on decades ago! Each fabric has a little story.

I only make 1 or 2 per year so most are kept. Some are made for gifts, and I have made some for a family whose home burned down.

Great-great Grannie Browns wool quilt. (early 1900's) That thing must weigh 25 lbs! If you were sleeping under it you wouldn't have the strength to roll over!

I plan to join our guild when they resume in the autumn, and would love to attend a workshop if one was held around here!

Not brave enough! I love to go to the shows though. I have such admiration for the talents on display!

My cousin has started quilting and has just finished a baby quilt for her grand-daughter

Why do you quilt?
    It relaxes me!

?? - Somehow I double posted :oops:

NanSew a quilters retreat sounds absolutely heavenly!

Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    There are so many wonderful quilters out there that I thought I'd play "Tell Me About...." I'm sure there are some fascinating quilting stories!

Who taught you how to quilt? I took a hand quilting sampler class at LQS

What pattern was the first quilt you made? A sampler

Do you still have your 1st quilt? Yes it is so bad nobody would want it

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? The one I am working on is usually my favorite.

What do you do with the quilts you make? I give most of them away.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I have a small cathedral windows that is an antique.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? Both

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? No I am afraid to but I would like to. I have heard nightmares about our local fair. Generally I do not quilt them myself so I dont even know if I qualify.

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? I have taught five others to quilt. I am going to teach this mother and her 10 yr old who is home schooled this fall.

Why do you quilt?
    Because.....

Blog Entries
    the lady next dorr Aunt Betty taught me how to sew buttons on a pc of fabric when i was three. started sewing patched to when i proved ido that. first quilt was made and finshed at seven. don't have anymore. my ldest, ny grandma made before i waborn, kept it in storage till about 35 yrs ago wheni askd her if i could have it, she gave to me so it's about 65 yrs old now.i try to teach everyone i know abut quilting, and meet some great people at fab stores that we quilt tog with. i quilt because it's ME.i don't belong to any group, all at leat 1 1/2 hrs away and i can't drive at night. made over 300 quilts. 55 were in a series i donated to a hosp. i donate about 5-20 a year depending on how much money i have. alot are gifts. i only have maybe 25 with me now.

I am a newbie, so this will be easy :)

Who taught you how to quilt? Youtube

What pattern was the first quilt you made? Jellyroll quilt, found pattern on here.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? yes

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? only made one so far :)

What do you do with the quilts you make? So far i keep them.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I have a quilt my dh's great grandmother made, its sort of raggy now but cant part with it.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? No

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair?No

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Yes

Why do you quilt? It's relaxing.

I learned to quilt about 20 years ago, when my kids were young. I took some classes at the LQS taught by a woman named Gerlinde Andersen...not sure where she is today, but she was very creative and artistic. While she taught the fundamentals, she also shared her creativity with us. I was very excited to have my first hand quilted wall hanging on display at the LQS for months and yes, I still have it.
    My favorite quilts are the artsy/unusual patterns like the OBW, French braid, bargellos...and I love purples, fuschias, greens and blues, so a lot of my fabric is on those colors ...
    I only have a few quilts since most of them have been gifts.
    No antique quilts, don't enter shows, not in a guild.I try to talk all my friends into quilting, but find it easier to make quilters my friends!
    I took a break for about 10 years to go to school and raise my kids and now I am back at quilting while starting over again with a foster child that is 3 years old. Makes it a little tough to find time to sew since I also work full time. So I have substituted machine time for QB time :)
    And I quilt because I love the patterns and designs that we make when we 're-arrange' fabric. I love the feel of 100% cotton and the adventure of finding the right fabric. The concentration needed to match seams and plan color schemes takes me away from the worries and tasks that time up most of my days. The satisfaction I get from creating a work of art, and the pleasure of giving it to someone I love, or donating it to a worthy cause.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    -- I taught myself the basics which was enough for pillows, but I went to a sampler class to get a better idea. Both of my grandmothers were crafters and I think I am genetically predisposed.

-- a sampler, but that is not finished - just a top. The first one I finished was a floral in white and lavender for my brother's wedding and then a log cabin in black and white for my sister (same year)

-- nope, it was gifted and is still in use.

--my "Nightmare on Elm Street" quilt is my cuddle quilt. It is washed so often that it's starting to get that silky-shiny look in spots. It's an uneven 9-patch with alternating hour-glass (or something like that) done in all fall colors. The nasty b-tch at he LQS told me that all those colors would be awful (hence the name).

--mostly I talk of making quilts because I spend my time here, chatting. lol THe others are primarily gifts. DH has one, and one sort of had an accident and got to stay by default.

-- A wall hanging my MIL's grandmother made. It may be from the 40s?

--not currently. I may go back next year. Right now, this QB is guild enough. But I try to take in some workshops at the LQS.

--Nope. Not good enough. And when I get good enough, I still won't. Too many quilt police out there in the real world.

--Any chance I get. Not sure how successful.

Why do you quilt?
    It keeps me out of bars. lol
    Actually, it fulfills the creative need. Love to touch the fabric and ogle the colors. It's my religion.

If you enter a quilt in a competition that some one else had a part in making you just add their name to your quilt saying what they did such as....machine quilting done by Jane Doe.

Blog Entries
    .....I did

.....Broken Dishes

.....Yes

....."Sampler Magic" because it's not finished yet

.....Keep them, hang on walls

.....A red and white sampler of machine embroidery redwork squares

.....On and off. Mostly not.

.....No

.....Yes

Why do you quilt?
    .....It's just in me.

"Sampler Magic"
    Name:  Attachment-98771.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  107.1 KB

Redwork patchwork
    Name:  Attachment-98783.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  71.7 KB

Rail Fence on the wall
    Name:  Attachment-98784.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  72.8 KB

1-I'm strictly self taught. I've never had any kind of sewing or quilting classes. 2- 4 & 9 patch 3-no, it was a seasonal quilt (Christmas) and I had it for 5 years and it never saw my bed, so I gave it as a Christmas present for a friend of mine that decorates her house seasonally. 4-no favorites 5-most my quilts have been lap sized, tied and donated to charities. 6- about 5 years 7-no 8-no, have thought about it 9- all the time 10- I like to sew and quilt

Who taught you how to quilt? Self taught from the Singer Quilting by Machine book for a start.....

What pattern was the first quilt you made? I made a scrappy quilt from garment fabrics with old blanket in the middle and flannel sheet on the back. It was UGLY! Then I made a real sampler quilt from the Singer book.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? No, but my mother still has the second sampler

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? Eye of the Beholder, I love a quilt that makes you look at it twice and see something else.

What do you do with the quilts you make? Give away for the most part. I have sold two

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I have a Road to Oklahoma Quilt that is just 14 years old.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? Yes and yes

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? yes in a show and sale, I was in the sale part

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Oh yes

Why do you quilt? good therapy & there is something about creating a quilt that nothing else comes close to.

Ooh! This thread is fun!!!

Who taught you how to quilt? I played around with quilting with my grandmother, but to use the modern tools and such I used one of the Leisure Arts "Teach Yourself to Quilt" books.

What pattern was the first quilt you made? It was a sampler so I could learn all the techniques.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? Yes, hanging in my family room. (See picture below! :-D My son, Sam, was hamming it up for our first day of school!)

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? The Mountain Laurel Sampler I am currently trying to finish hand quilting! It's reds and browns and blacks and all the different blocks inspire me!

What do you do with the quilts you make? Pile 'em up to give away when I die!!! LOL!

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I have a quilt top with fabrics in it that we've dated to the 1830's. I have another completed quilt that is from around the 1880's.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? Yes and yes

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? yes in some local shows. I won "Best Hand Quilted" in my town in 2007! :-) (detail, below! :-D)

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Oh yes. I'm kinda insane about it. "Oh! Let me show you.....!!!!!"

Why do you quilt? It blesses the artist in me and soothes my soul! Therapy, indeed!

Blessings,
    Mary Lou

We homeschool, and my son Sam was hamming it up a bit! :-D
    Name:  Attachment-98790.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  52.6 KB

"Stars in an American Garden" 2007
    Name:  Attachment-98792.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  26.0 KB

I did.

A double Irish chain. From templates and cut out with scissors.

Yup, it's on the back of hubby's chair.

I don't think I have a favorite.

Give them away, hang them on walls, put them on beds.

I have a baby quilt that was made for my mother.

I belong to 3 guilds and I've attended a few workshops.

I've entered in the county fair several years and the state fair a couple of times. I've taken home every thing from white third place ribbons to grand champion ribbons.

Sometimes.

Why do you quilt?
    Because there are no collar points or set in sleeves.

Who taught you how to quilt? I taught myself how to quilt.

What pattern was the first quilt you made? Four Patch.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? I made it for my monm and my daughter has it now.

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? My stainglass is my favorite.

What do you do with the quilts you make? I make most of my quilts for others. I love making quilts.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? My mom's quilt, 12 yrs.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? I belong to a quilt group (The Quilting Time Quilters) we meet in Rogerville, MO.

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? Yes.

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? I teach quilting and applique.

Why do you quilt?
    Becuase I love color, design, and creating something that will hopefully make someone happy.

Too Much Fabric,

I love your quilts!

Lynn,

Love your reason for quilting, I'm with you.

Blog Entries

I am self taught.

My first quilt was a dresden plate for my daughter

I still have the quilt..it needs a binding on it..my daughter doesn't like the quilt..so..I am keeping it. I don't know how someone could not like a quilt...oh well..

wow, that is a hard question..I have to say it is one I am working on right now...it is a lavender and white seven sisters quilt. I hope to get it sewn together by the end of september.

LOL..I hourd them. I will one day start to give them away...just when i don't know.

I have a quilt top that my grandmother made. She had TB in the 30's amd was in a sanitorium for 15 years. She made it laying flat on her back. One day I will quilt it.

I don't belong to any quilds nor do I attend workshops. I went to a local quild one time and didn't care for the click that was so obvious. I did not feel welcome.

I haven't yet, but am planning on it this fall.

Yes I have..but to no avail. One friend was to afraid of making a mistake. I explained...that is how we all learn..trial and error.

Why do you quilt?
    It seems that all the women in my family were born creative. I went to art school and ended up a floral designer. I loved the colors of flowers, they filled my heart and satisfied my need to express myself. Twenty five years ago I started my first quilt..I got that same feeling in my heart and I knew that it was there to stay. Quilting to me is a passion for color...it has no boundries..it is open to whatever is in your mind. . . and mostly your heart. Quilting fills me up.

Peace and Blessings

Taught myself by trying it out and making a lot of mistakes.

No real pattern, just squares. Made for a former principal who had leukemia. Each staff member decorated a square to represent things that the principal liked to do or special memories and I sewed it together. Sadly, she passed a few days before I finished it.

Gave it to her husband as a memorial.

Don't have a favorite

Almost all have been given as gifts. Still don't have one for myself.

Someone gave me one made in the 30s or 40 that someone had given her. Sadly she let the dogs sleep on it so it needs a lot of repair.

No. Went to a class once at a quilt retreat.

No, I'm not good enough yet.

Yes, my SIL has started.

Why do you quilt?
    It relaxes me -- unless the quilt is misbehaving.

Who taught you how to quilt? my grandmother started me when I was 9 or 10. But I mostly taught myself in the 80's when my grandchildren were being born

What pattern was the first quilt you made? a dog quilt for DH's assistant's baby.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? No, I gave it to the baby. It was used well, and survived a fire that completely destroyed their Victorian restored home.

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? The one I'm working on. I have a short attention span!

What do you do with the quilts you make? Give them away or pile them up on a quilt rack.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? One made by my MIL for DH's birth, 76 years ago.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? no to guild, a few to workshops

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? no

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? yes, but none were interested

Why do you quilt?
    It gives me an outlet for creativity. I used to sew for myself and kids, but they are gone and i have lost interest in sewing clothes.

Blog Entries
    My Mother.
    But I have wonderful memories of watching my Great Grandmother and her sisters hand quilt. The four of them would sit on each side of a frame suspended from the ceiling. And they would tell me... your time will come.

Log Cabin... king size (what was I thinking?!!)
    yes, still a UFO in a box up in the loft.
    My favorit is not one that I made, it is one given to me by my DM.
    After the king size log cabin that I never finished...I gave up quilting for 20 years.
    I got the quilting bug again last year and only recently started another quilt.
    I have yet to completely finish a full size one.. I have two I'm working on now.

I've made a baby quilt for each grandchild.
    probably close to 80 yrs.
    no
    Not yet, but there is a quilt show next month in Jacksonville I plan on attending.
    I've mentioned it to my friends..but when I talk about quilting their eyes glaze over... I have even been told..quilting was for "old people" .. I guess I'm officially old =)
    Why do you quilt?
    It's in my blood!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast