View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 AM
katesnanna

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't like binding. I love it because it means I'm almost finished and can move on to another quilt. The thing I don't like is not getting enough hours to do the quilts I want to do.
For those who do the quilt sandwich on the floor, ( I only did my first quilt like that) I have an inexpensive table ($50.00) with fold up legs. It is 6ft long and about30" wide.
When I need to pin a quilt I bring in 4 bricks place one under each leg and it's a perfect height. I've cleaned them up and intend to make quilted covers for them. (Saves hurt toes.) Also perfect if I have lots of cutting to do. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep mine up but these tables fold flat so can be stashed.
I've only ever sewn one binding by machine as it had piping and was sewn on the back first then sewn in the ditch beside the piping. I was so happy with the result but know I wouldn't be if I sewed an ordinary binding by machine.
I guess to each his/her own way. Just wish I'd discovered quilting 20 years earlier than I did. I still live in hope of learning to hand quilt.
Happy quilting