Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Michellesews

I am a longarm quilter and I quilt for the public. This ladies tension was off and her quilting spacing in very inconsistent.
It sounds like she did not have the quilt loaded properly either, which is why you are short on batting. As for taking it all out and fixing it...that would leave them looking worse than they do now, I am afraid...and you would run the very likely risk of the quilt being cut in the process of the ripping out, since it appears this person is not exactly meticulous about her work. From the pictures it looks like the sides weren't clamped properly during the quilting process either. Longarm quilting is not something someone can just buy a machine and start doing...there truly is an art to it. First of all, the quilt must be loaded so it will be square, and be square once quilting is completed, even if it is not square to begin with. There are so many things that can go wrong if one does not plan ahead with longarm quilting that I cannot mention them all here...and that is where EXPERIENCE comes in. In my opinion, you should receive 1/2 of your money back from her, and then consider it a lesson learned. When you choose a longarm quiter, get references, just like youi would for a babysitter; afterall, you put a lot of time and money and effort in your quilt tops and they deserve to be babied. Michelle Guadarrama, El Paso, Texas