Old 08-21-2010, 03:31 PM
moonwolf23

Originally Posted by Mattee
No, I'm not a lawyer. I am just a particularly well educated layperson when it comes to this topic. I've followed several copyright controversies closely over the years, particularly as they apply to the crafting industries. My understanding of copyright law has always matched what was published not only in the McCall's article, but also what has been published in many other forms in many other places, some linked to on this thread. There are many craft designers who have gone after copyright violators over the years, most often for photocopying designs, but also for sharing patterns, making derivative works without giving credit, and in some cases, for public display of works without getting permission. Different designers choose to enforce copyright laws to varying extents, and I've always been very interested in watching how and to what extent different designers and companies choose to protect their works.

My professional experience with copyright is related to the written word. While not a lawyer, I have been in a position to identify those who have committed plagiarism and work with them in an educational capacity to understand copyright, plagiarism, and how to fairly and legally navigate copyright law.
Written word and crafting quilts though are different. The entire culture behind novel writing vs crafting quilts is also different.