Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
moonwolf23

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
Well this is a tough one. I can see that there is some controvery over the article in the very same issue as my last quilt. I design for McCall's Quilting and I just saw that a member of the forum entered my So Blissful Quilt, July/Aug 2010 issue in a Fair. I am the sole owner of the copyright and as such, the law says she should have gotten written permission from me before displaying it in a public place. You see, when she entered the quilt without my name on it as the designer, she implied it was her design. I get requests all the time and time and time again I have given permission. It takes a little time to do that, but the design legally belongs to me. My quilts are not taken from public domain patterns, they are all quite original. McCall's provided a contract giving them permission to publish the quilt. I signed the contract which also stated that I could not make a pattern of the quilt for sale for four months after the quilt is published. It has not been four months and I purchased 60 magazines from McCall's to provide the pattern. I posted a comment about her quilt, it was well pieced and quilted and I did not mention that she should have asked permission. I know that so many people don't even know the copyright law, I'm sure she didn't and I was secretly pleased she chose that pattern and the fabric I used. I would certainly like to know how you guys feel about this. I welcome comments and hope that I did not offend, I would really hate to do that. Dorothy Ann Weld
I feel if you are publishing the pattern in a quilting magazine, then you are giving permission for people to make quilts from that magazine. Why else buy that magazine?

How many people in the past, said which designer designed this or that pattern. Look at patterns that people bought of the sun bonnet sue in the past. Do we know who designed those patterns? We have guesses. Do we know who designed the original patterns in the public domain? When we make the quilts, we are showcasing our ability to piece and quilt the quilts, not necessarily just the design.

Those that do design and make original quilts are awe inspiring.

I don't think if someone enters a quilt in a quilt show that they are automatically claiming they came up with the design though.