Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Dorothy Ann

Hi Dodie, please don't cancel your membership to one of the finest quilt magazines on the market. McCall's didn't write the laws and they are some of the sweetest people in the world. I know because I design for them and they are so wonderful. I email and speak to those fine ladies almost every week and I know that they are only trying to protect my rights along with all of their other designers. I have a quilt in another magazine and I signed my rights to the quilt over to the magazine. It wasn't all that original and quite frankly, it was the only reason I allowed the fabric company I designed it for to submit it. I didn't feel comfortable copyrighting it. McCall's finds patterns and quilts they think the general public will enjoy. You can make 20 of each of the quilts without asking permission, you can show them off to your friends, give them as gifts and I assume show them at show and tell at your guild. It's that if you place it in a public place, it can then easily become public property. McCall's often publish articles about quilting issues that don't pertain to a needle or thread. They are really an amazinrg group of hard working deligent people. I'm so very proud to be published in their magazine and I want you to see all of my quilts. I have two coming out next year, please don't miss them. Dorothy Ann