Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM
JJs
Banned

Where is it written in law that a person buying a pattern with the express purpose of making a quilt has to ask permission of the designer to show a quilt in a guild show or fair?
As has been asked ad infinitum, why can't that particular piece of information be included if not on each pattern, at LEAST SOMEWHERE IN EACH COPY OF THE MAGAZINE....
I've looked through my magazines and books and while the usual copyright information is there - you can't copy the pattern and pass it around, the 'designer' owns the copyright blah blah, NOWHERE does it say YOU HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION TO SHOW THIS QUILT.

Yes, your quilts look very original - you aren't making yet another 'derivative' work from traditional squares - one instance. But just as a for instance, the main body of quilts in the current issue of McCalls being discussed are DERIVATIVE works.... And just as you say that you do NOT LOOK AT MAGAZINES, maybe the rest of us want to say the same so that WE ALSO cannot be accused of making a derivative quilt or copied a quilt from some magazine. And we want to be able to enter a quilt in a fair or guild show or whatever without worrying about whether this or that pattern from such and so book or magrag is one that we forgot to get permission to take out of the house.

So EQ for me, even tho it bugs me that it phones home... It's something else that I paid money for - didn't steal it or copy it or pilfer it - bought it paid for it and fershure plan to get my money's worth out of it!