Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 PM
garysgal

Dorothy Ann, In one post you stated that you designed for McCalls and it is copyrighted. Then in another you say "McCall's finds patterns and quilts they think the general public will enjoy. You can make 20 of each of the quilts without asking permission, you can show them off to your friends, give them as gifts and I assume show them at show and tell at your guild."
I am assuming that you mean that McCalls is not including your patterns in the ones that they have found and thought the general public will enjoy?
I agree with the majority here. We are NOT against the copyright laws, but it makes NO SENSE to buy a magazine and make a quilt from a pattern in that magazine and then not be able to show it, give it or whatever, without permission. That is what we are all upset about. It defeats the purpose of buying the magazine if we can't use the patterns without strings attached.
And what is this garbage about making 20 of something? Are we to assume is we make 21 we will be hauled away to jail? If you step back and look at it logically and in the way that we are (none of us to my knowledge are designers) you will see that we have a valid complaint.
I am also not renewing any of my subscriptions because I don't want to make something and find out that I have violated a copy right law.
I am sure the folks at McCalls quilting are wonderful people and all of us here know that they didn't make the laws. But we just don't understand the whole idea behind the copyright patterns being in a magazine for anyone in the world to buy and make-with stipulations.