Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
I wish you knew be better. I am so not puffed up about my quilt designs, we have so much fun making them and seeing them in print. I want all of my employees to feel a part of this experience. You see, I have a business. I have employees. I pay them. I earn money by designing, writing patterns and selling kits. A lot of people do that, are they wrong to want to protect what belongs to them. I have ownership in my ideas and creative designs, they are mine and I'm sorry that you can't take that in. You may see the Cinderella on a poster, but Disney is one of the few companies that does seek out and sue those who take what they have spent time in creative thought, money, energy and countless dollars in producing. I am small, there are laws that protect that which the law says belongs to me, but I can't enforce them as Disney does. But it makes me feel like someone has take something that didn't belong to them. The ideas and designs are mine, I will express that plainly. I will never deny a person the right to use something that is mine. I share all the time, books, money, recipes, patterns. But a person should ask to use them. Because it is not tangible does not matter, an idea is a noun and can be owned, possessed and given away. I'm sorry it isn't more plainly stated that the copyright remains with the designer, but it does.
Why should anyone HAVE to ask to use a pattern they purchased? That doesn't make any sense. It's implied in my purchase that I desire to use the pattern, else I wouldn't spend the money on it. Therefore, no, I don't think it's right to say anyone has to ask to use something they purchased. (BTW - finding designers is not a SIMPLE matter, especially for the 74% of the population who do not use the internet or own a home computer.)

I don't ask anyone permission to use anything else I purchase, and quilt patterns are not that special so as to have separate rules/laws. Therefore, I think some people have taken things to an extreme, and think by voicing them over and over, it makes it true and legal. (No, it's not true that I have to list a designer, or ask permission to use something I purchased, etc. There's no law that states this, and if there is, and anyone desires to correct me, then please provide a link to a US Legal website stating such. That, I will go and read, and perhaps it will change my actions/opinions.)