Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Sewze

Originally Posted by auntbarb
Originally Posted by donnajean
I do have Medicare insurance. However, I don't always agree with the tests doctors want me to get. An MRI would probably show you have some disk issues, but what are you willing to do about it anyhow. I have had back problems for many years - siatica with pain going down my leg. I've learned that you have to keep the lower back muscles strong & bending & stooping in the garden really helps with this. I see you have a little girl. Picking her up is a no-no. Anything that puts more stress to one side vs. picking up with your knees bent & object directly in front of you will aggravate your back. Carrying a child on your hip will aggravate a back problem.
I agree.....I also ruptured a disc 38 yrs ago and then within 10 yrs. ruptured 2 more. I would not go thru surgery and instead just rested. I have found that I need to get plenty of sleep in order for my back not to be giving me signals that all is not going to go well, if I continue without the sleep for more that 3 days. It doesn't take much to rupture a disc.... the 1 st one I did when turning over in bed, the 2nd one-opening a window and the 3rd one cranking up a wheel.

Gyno doc gave me script for bone density test. My response is that I am not willing to take anything beyond the extra calcium & vitamun D, what purpose would the test be?

Unresolved medical issues can really take a toll on you mentally as well, which lowers your immune system. Hope you get some relief without the MRI. Make sure you are drinking pleanty of water. That also helps my joint issues.
I agree--do some research--most disc problems will resolve in 6-9 months--why have an mri unless you are becoming paralyzed! Most docs order test because their atty wants them to