Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM
moonwolf23

Originally Posted by candi
I read the article in the magazine, and read parts of this thread, and I can see that the issue on hand may be confusing at so many levels. The part that confuses me the most though and I hope someone may be able to shed some light for me, is that the article states that one can't publicly display a cpyrighted quilt without the designer permission, does that mean that on this very board we are all violating the copyright rules (myself included)?

To be sure, I always give credit to the designer when I post a photo of their design, but I never seeked their permission to post a photo on this site, never thought I needed to really, afterall,all of these designers have photos of these quilts/patterns on their websites and you don't need anything other than Internet access to view them.

On another note, I came across one of Kaffe Fasset's books all displayed on Google Readers for free, every page of it, including all the instructions. I just e-mailed the designer to inform him about that.

Dorothy Ann, "What a Beautiful Morning" is truly a beautiful quilt that went on my list of quilts to make, as I am just learning to applique.
Yes you may very well be violating a copyright rule, if you put a picture of a quilt up here that you didn't design.

Which in all honesty is asinine for the designer. Word of mouth advertising is the best they will get. Quilt shows are good for that as are the boards. To seek that much control over the pattern, once it is published is asking for trouble. You will loose more money in the long run by seeking this much control then if you let people be.

Even if the op didn't post who the designer is, someone in that thread will and you will get advertising.