Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM
seamstome

I read this whole thread. I probably violated copyrights law once when I made a quilt that was raffled for a child with a rare cancer. Most of what was said past the emotions made sense. If it is not your original design, you cant copy the pattern and distribute it or make it without acknowledging the designer. That is pretty straight forward.

I agree with many of the women here that if you pay for the pattern or the magazine, the copyright consents should be clearly outlined BEFORE you purchase it. I cant really expect that any designer would say no if asked to display their design in a show or raffle their work but it should not be on the consumer to ask since they are not the one being paid as a professional. The onus appears to be on the consumer in the law and I personally can see where if I was paying for a magazine subscription that I would feel ripped off if the consents to show were not included as a courtesy. As far as selling I am not so clear. Maybe this is the point that should be made to McCalls who makes the bucks!