View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
mosquitosewgirl

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Every artist works in their own way. Many artists discard works in progress because they move on to a more exciting idea. I have a lot of unfinished canvases here but my daughter's finished paintings are wonderful. Maybe we need a swap to trade UFOs!! That could be fun!
Sometimes the UFO or even non-starts are part of the learning process. One of my struggles has been that I was raised: 1) to never waste materials - and practicing techniques could result in waste; and 2) that you shouldn't attempt something that you aren't good at, because that could result in #1...more waste.

I have had to teach myself to go ahead and buy fabrics that catch my eye or my imagination, and then to simply use it...whether it is to practice a technique (happy accidents to occur) or to hold for the right project. And allow myself that freedom.

My husband has been great help in this growth...he is a fly tyer and he is always buying materials that he might need :-) . And, he practices, and practices, and practices...and he throws stuff away or uses it to remember what not to do. And, he keeps a journal about it. So, his hobby has helped me grow in mine. If your husband doesn't have a hobby that requires collecting stuff for someday or creates messes, maybe you could help him find one...

Hugs.