View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
aorlflood

My DH is an "enabler". He tells me of yardsale and auction ads that have anything sewing-related. He takes me to quilt stores when we are traveling...he takes a book and sits outside the store or in the car and reads while I shop.

About a week ago he saw an ad for giveaway of 2 antique sewing machines. I was at work so he called the person and went and picked them up and brought them home. They both were treadles! (Need work, but treadles, nonetheless.) He didn't tell me about them till I got home from work!

He spots fabric and sewing stuff at yardsales and thrift stores and points it out to me or calls me to tell me if I'm not with him.

One time he was at an estate auction without me and they had a sewing machine in a cabinet. He called me to ask how much he should bid. I told him don't go over $50 as it was a "want"...not a "need". Yep...he got it and brought it home. It is a Pfaff 130 in a perfect maple cabinet! He got it for $5!!! He is very proud of that purchase and tells people about it when the topic turns to quilting! LOL

He "jokes" about how much fabric I have or how many sewing machines I have (13 now including 2 toy sewing machines...oh yeah...he bought me my first toy sewing machine at a yardsale! LOL)

He collects and resells stone crocks and I go with him on his jaunts to find those. So we "enable" each other in our hobbies!

A typical trip/vacation includes at least one trip to a quilting store, an antique store, and a thrift store! LOL