Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does your husband >

does your husband

does your husband

Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Oh, yes, my DH is my biggest enabler. I tend to be the cautious, frugal one, and he is the one that says,"Get it - you deserve it!" That is why I am so fortunalte to have my dream sewing room and all my toys. He has definitely been a keeper for 40 years.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My hubby is the same way.. He loves that I have a hobby, not to mention the same hobby his mom had ( she passed away two yrs ago ).. I guess me quilting keeps her spirit close..
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM

My DH supports me....He still doesn't understand some of the blocks, meaning he can't tell that the basket is a basket and the bear claw is a bear claw....LOL

When we go antique shopping, he is always showing me the vintage sewing machines and bobbins. I tease him and tell him that he likes those machines just as much as I do. He tells me no, that he's just looking for them for me....WHATEVER!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by hulahoop1
We have separate finances so he has NO idea what I spend on fabric and knows better than to ask. He likes the end results, tho. When my sewing machine "died" after 29 years, he bought its replacement, a Bernina 430. Being the handy guy that he is, I talked him into building a machine quilt frame a year and a half ago (which turned out beautifully). The Bernina lasted on it for about a month and then he bought the Janome 1600 to go on the frame. Now several vintage FW's and treadles have been added to the collection (out of my budget) and when he dares to say anything about the number of machines, I just point to the 3 table saws and several loaded rolling tool chests in the garage and he just smiles. We celebrated 27 years last week.
Sounds like a keeper to me!! Different strokes for different folks. What is a machine quilt frame? Just curious. That's an interesting concept to have "your own money". I have a quilting "budget" so to speak where he puts money into a checking acct that is just for me to buy fabric or quilting supplies. Works for us and then I don't feel like a kid with a load asking for money or if I can charge something. I worked for many years and put several kids thru school and so I don't feel great about asking!! Thanks for sharing and keep that man!!
I remember being afraid to tell Hubby #1 about $20 I'd spent on fabric for a new housecoat and swore I'd never feel that way again. Hubby #2 and I just fell into the separate finances thing from the beginning. We both work full-time and it just sorta evolved into what we each pay for. Because he make more than me, he pays for house, cars, vacations, college, etc. I pay for kids, food, clothes, etc. Whatever, it works. He's a keeper.

Here's a photo of the quilt frame he built.
Not the brightest star out there so its hard for me to imagine how this works. Kinda looks like the Flynn thing? I have a Pfaff machine with a fabric mover that I've not even tackled using. I tried once but it kept bumping into the machine and I gave up, put it back in the box and never looked at it again. Not good. I should learn to use it. Maybe this year!! haah Thanks for sharing and you are correct. If it works for you and yours, that's fine. You are in the marriage not any one else. Hopefully!! sorry the devil made me say that!!