View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by goaf1968
The automatic ordering/refill process doesn't count on sales spikes as a means to increase prices unless it is happening with regularity. It does, however, put a merchant on notice that there is an increased demand for a product(s) and that could lead to an increase in what is ordered. Pipeline (orders from a manufacturer) prices can fluctuate daily if it were a commodity product (say, like lumber), but metal blades - probably made of recycled metal - wouldn't move much, if at all, as they are ordered by large quantities. Every business loves a "run" on an item(s) but they are also cautious to not over-order because of it, especially in the last quarter of their business year. If you think about it, the many blades you are buying now are going to last you a long time. Also, if you have one of those circular hand-held re-sharpeners you will have blades for a loooong time. I just bought 20 packs for my wife and she responded with "I have enough blades now to cut fabric until I'm 140 years old!" She is 51. As for the carpet cutting handle, skip it unless the only way you can get blades ' cause you are out is to buy one. It is strictly for cutting carpet.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware
Thanks Terry, for your patient explanation. It makes sense.
This crazy "run" of ours will probably not last for too long a time. Those of us who have stocked up won't need anymore blades for quite a while. Then the blade business at HR will return to normal.

:-D