Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
sbrown04

I know what you mean about getting a sewing machine for graduation...I got one for my high school graduation in 1967 and about wore it out. I was straight stitching but I could move the needle position from side to side which helped in putting in zippers. Fast forward to your question... I bought myself a Baby Lock Espire (floor model) as a retirement gift to myself two years ago. it is not real fancy and is not programable but it does have decorative stitches that I can just punch -- The only thing I don't like about it is that the needle position is programmed to be on the left. Wtih my quarter inch foot always on, if I don't change the needle position to the center and start to sew--BAM! the needle hits the foot and breaks it. Whcih I have done abut a million times. The shop where I bought this machine also gave me a one hours class, one on one, to learn to use all the feet that came with it, button holes, sewing on buttons, etc. So, you might just want to find a sewing machine shop and see if they will give you a good deal on a floor model when they update that particular model. Good luck.