View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM
hulahoop1

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by hulahoop1
We have separate finances so he has NO idea what I spend on fabric and knows better than to ask. He likes the end results, tho. When my sewing machine "died" after 29 years, he bought its replacement, a Bernina 430. Being the handy guy that he is, I talked him into building a machine quilt frame a year and a half ago (which turned out beautifully). The Bernina lasted on it for about a month and then he bought the Janome 1600 to go on the frame. Now several vintage FW's and treadles have been added to the collection (out of my budget) and when he dares to say anything about the number of machines, I just point to the 3 table saws and several loaded rolling tool chests in the garage and he just smiles. We celebrated 27 years last week.
Sounds like a keeper to me!! Different strokes for different folks. What is a machine quilt frame? Just curious. That's an interesting concept to have "your own money". I have a quilting "budget" so to speak where he puts money into a checking acct that is just for me to buy fabric or quilting supplies. Works for us and then I don't feel like a kid with a load asking for money or if I can charge something. I worked for many years and put several kids thru school and so I don't feel great about asking!! Thanks for sharing and keep that man!!
I remember being afraid to tell Hubby #1 about $20 I'd spent on fabric for a new housecoat and swore I'd never feel that way again. Hubby #2 and I just fell into the separate finances thing from the beginning. We both work full-time and it just sorta evolved into what we each pay for. Because he make more than me, he pays for house, cars, vacations, college, etc. I pay for kids, food, clothes, etc. Whatever, it works. He's a keeper.

Here's a photo of the quilt frame he built.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109384.jpe