Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by Marilyn6
Thinking of purchasing one for quilting & wondering if it is a good choice for $800. new.
I bought a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice 3 years ago for $800, although it retailed for much higher. Sounds like you're referring to a newer model of the same - given the '2' at the end of the BLDC.

I don't know if this '2' has any improvements or is just a newer model of the one I have. My Baby Lock was a step up from a low end Singer, but just couldn't compare for stitch quality to my OLD circa late 60's, early 70's mechanical Bernina 730 Record.

I have since been able to acquire another used Bernina 1090, a computerized machine made back in the 1990's. I absolutely LOVE it, hands down over my Baby Lock. My Baby Lock Decorator's Choice has a lot of nice things it will do for the price, like 167 stitches including two alphabets, but I found it lacking for quilting. It doesn't have a very large harp area, and even though it's fairly heavy, it had trouble remaining still as I wrestled a 63" square quilt through it for stitch in the ditch machine quilting.

I recently tried FMQ'ing with it. If I hadn't already done so on my Bernina 1090, I probably would've thought it did pretty good. No comparison, however.

My Decorator's Choice has had trouble with the automatic needle threader since day one, having been worked on several times by the repairman. He told me this model seemed to have trouble with that. Maybe they've fixed that in the '2' you're considering.

Here's one persons reply to another individual who's asking the same question you are. I thought she gave a very honest assessment and especially appreciated her thoughts for the quilter.

http://sewingmachinesreview.org/shou...ice-bldc2.html

She prefers Elnas like I prefer Bernina's, but she brings up a valid point about considering just what you you'll be using your machine for.

I guess I just love the quality and feel of a mostly metal machine inside and out. There's a reason so many of these machines, both mechanical and computerized are still going strong - they're built to last. You might consider test driving any quality used machine like a Bernina, Elna, Pfaff, etc.

Money was and continues to be tight for me too, but I can tell ya one thing - when my 5 year free service agreement runs out on the Baby Lock, I'm not going to be able to afford her maintenance and upkeep. My old Berninas, on the other hand are only costing me $69 per year for servicing - much less than half for the BL. Yes, parts are still readily available for these quality machines.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do. You would do yourself a huge favor to test drive as many different brands and models as possible, putting them through all the paces you would expect to on your own machine once you buy one.

Happy testing,