Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need comments on Babylock New Decorator's Choice BLDC2 machine >

Need comments on Babylock New Decorator's Choice BLDC2 machine

Need comments on Babylock New Decorator's Choice BLDC2 machine

Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Thinking of purchasing one for quilting & wondering if it is a good choice for $800. new.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I have the Babylock Espire and can only say that the one touch threader is worth its weight in gold. I do not use the start/stop button but have gotten used to the cutter. Babylock has a great warranty. Bobbin winder on a separate motor is cool and the needle up/down position selection is a must for quilters. The drop-in bobbin is easy to drop and view and that is the extent of the common parts between the machines.

I'd suggest you sign up at patternreview.com (free option available) and read the reviews on their machines. 2 reviews on the decorator's choice and also tons of other models. I noticed that the 2 gals who reviewed the Decorator's Choice wrote a $600 price. Looks like you may have room for negotiation.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marilyn6
Thinking of purchasing one for quilting & wondering if it is a good choice for $800. new.
I bought a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice 3 years ago for $800, although it retailed for much higher. Sounds like you're referring to a newer model of the same - given the '2' at the end of the BLDC.

I don't know if this '2' has any improvements or is just a newer model of the one I have. My Baby Lock was a step up from a low end Singer, but just couldn't compare for stitch quality to my OLD circa late 60's, early 70's mechanical Bernina 730 Record.

I have since been able to acquire another used Bernina 1090, a computerized machine made back in the 1990's. I absolutely LOVE it, hands down over my Baby Lock. My Baby Lock Decorator's Choice has a lot of nice things it will do for the price, like 167 stitches including two alphabets, but I found it lacking for quilting. It doesn't have a very large harp area, and even though it's fairly heavy, it had trouble remaining still as I wrestled a 63" square quilt through it for stitch in the ditch machine quilting.

I recently tried FMQ'ing with it. If I hadn't already done so on my Bernina 1090, I probably would've thought it did pretty good. No comparison, however.

My Decorator's Choice has had trouble with the automatic needle threader since day one, having been worked on several times by the repairman. He told me this model seemed to have trouble with that. Maybe they've fixed that in the '2' you're considering.

Here's one persons reply to another individual who's asking the same question you are. I thought she gave a very honest assessment and especially appreciated her thoughts for the quilter.

http://sewingmachinesreview.org/shou...ice-bldc2.html

She prefers Elnas like I prefer Bernina's, but she brings up a valid point about considering just what you you'll be using your machine for.

I guess I just love the quality and feel of a mostly metal machine inside and out. There's a reason so many of these machines, both mechanical and computerized are still going strong - they're built to last. You might consider test driving any quality used machine like a Bernina, Elna, Pfaff, etc.

Money was and continues to be tight for me too, but I can tell ya one thing - when my 5 year free service agreement runs out on the Baby Lock, I'm not going to be able to afford her maintenance and upkeep. My old Berninas, on the other hand are only costing me $69 per year for servicing - much less than half for the BL. Yes, parts are still readily available for these quality machines.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do. You would do yourself a huge favor to test drive as many different brands and models as possible, putting them through all the paces you would expect to on your own machine once you buy one.

Happy testing,
Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 PM

I paid 599.00 for mine, in april of this year..then just got the Babylock Ellegante2 2 weeks ago. I take the DChoice to classes and easy to use! Love both!

I wonder why it is higher now? But it may be good to shop around!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I did go check out
the reviews as suggested & they were very helpful.

I just joined this group today after looking at it for 3 days & I am so encouraged & pleased with all the helps & friendly
people.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 AM

PM lynnejean on this group. She has the Quilters Choice, just like the DC only with a few more bells & whistles. She LOVES it.
IMO you can't go wrong with a Babylock. I have 4 myself and hope to get the new Symphony some day.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Dear MadQuilter,
I hope I am answering this in the correct way. I am new.

Your response to my question about the Babylock was very helpful & because of you & others who responded I was brave enough to challenge the price I had already negotiated & he came down another $125.
I am very please to say that I am now an owner of a brand new
Babylock. Full 3 year warranty above & beyond the manufacturer &
free forever-lessons, etc.

Thanks so very much for your help in this. : )
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Dear SMPT5,
Thank you for your helpfulness. Because of you & other's responses,
I was able to negotiate another savings of $125. with full 3 year
warranty & all other advantages. I am very pleased & would not
have been brave enough to further negoiate without your input.
: )
Old 09-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Dear Melinda,
Thanks to you & the other kind quilters who responded to my question.
I was able to negotiate another $125. off only because of this list's
help & encouragement.

I really love this list.
Thanks again. : )
Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM

Dear Quiltgranny,
Your response to my question was so very helpful. I am extremely new here & it amazes me that people would read & respond so quickly &
thoughtfully to someone they do not know.

Your comments were very helpful & because of each of you I was able
to return to the dealer & get another $125. reduction, still with the
full warranty, lessons, etc. Thank you so very much. : )