View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Rosyhf

Do you have a favorite quilt or type of block for quilts that you kinda like more than anything else?

Personally, when I saw a book or a quilt made up that I liked I would do the quilt out of the book and that would be the favorite quilt of the moment and I love a lot of them lol.

Now of late, since doing the Sampler Quilt with my Dear Jane blocks and working on my new sampler with the FW blocks, I am discovering that I love sampler quilts lol (only not small tiny blocks lol).

I think I must have loved them at the beginning, when I first started to quilt, as I had quite a collection of 12 inch blocks in a drawer that finally got used in the DJ's.

I also think, that sampler blocks are a great way to learn all sorts of quilting techniques, as each block may require more than just a straight seam.

I have perfected my "set-in's" so well by doing lots of these blocks. I don't skip over them as I browse Block Base. I pick one and go to it and learn if I don't know lol. I think it's a great way for a beginner to start, by doing sampler blocks.

If a mutual background is picked for a Sampler Quilt, it will pull all the blocks together in a very pleasing way, as they all have a common ground.

Even though different backgrounds also are pleasing in a different way, because it is the color in each block that pulls them together, as color is relative to it's surroundings.. I find that Sampler Quitls always look wonderful and most always are so very pleasing to look at.

One always goes back to look at the Sampler.

I had stated in a previous post that when I first started to quilt, I thought I would make all the blocks ever made, until I discovered that there were a few thousand lol.

Now I find I am back to square one with the same thought. Oh my, I am in the circle at the beginning lol.