Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Favorite Quilt to Make

Do you have a favorite quilt or type of block for quilts that you kinda like more than anything else?

Personally, when I saw a book or a quilt made up that I liked I would do the quilt out of the book and that would be the favorite quilt of the moment and I love a lot of them lol.

Now of late, since doing the Sampler Quilt with my Dear Jane blocks and working on my new sampler with the FW blocks, I am discovering that I love sampler quilts lol (only not small tiny blocks lol).

I think I must have loved them at the beginning, when I first started to quilt, as I had quite a collection of 12 inch blocks in a drawer that finally got used in the DJ's.

I also think, that sampler blocks are a great way to learn all sorts of quilting techniques, as each block may require more than just a straight seam.

I have perfected my "set-in's" so well by doing lots of these blocks. I don't skip over them as I browse Block Base. I pick one and go to it and learn if I don't know lol. I think it's a great way for a beginner to start, by doing sampler blocks.

If a mutual background is picked for a Sampler Quilt, it will pull all the blocks together in a very pleasing way, as they all have a common ground.

Even though different backgrounds also are pleasing in a different way, because it is the color in each block that pulls them together, as color is relative to it's surroundings.. I find that Sampler Quitls always look wonderful and most always are so very pleasing to look at.

One always goes back to look at the Sampler.

I had stated in a previous post that when I first started to quilt, I thought I would make all the blocks ever made, until I discovered that there were a few thousand lol.

Now I find I am back to square one with the same thought. Oh my, I am in the circle at the beginning lol.

I love making a new block. That's why I love block exchanges. It challenges me. I still love the log cabin block.

Blog Entries
    I love sampler quilts. I also love easy quilts where there isn't a whole lot of seam matching for when I am tired and can't sleep. I like to do different things at different times.

I don't mind trying new blocks, but generally stick with 2-5 color Quilts. Can do Irish chains in my sleep, whatever variation and have found can do small twists to make more interesting. Fasinated with Poseys and OBY's right now, who konws next week could be somthing different.
    LOL.. looking at the scrap basket that needs to be knocked down some, string quilt, as you go may be coming up soon :)

Little squares in a checkerboard. That was the first thing I did and did it by hand and never saw a book on it. But, I don't do hand work much.......the big "A" and neuropathy just makes it tuff.

I love rail fence. I did several lap quilts in it.

ty for asking

Blessings,
    Ruth

my favorite....
    so far, the split nine patch...the first block learned, or the checkerboard.....or.....
    I haven't had much experience with the log cabin.

Blog Entries
    You mentioned Log Cabin, I absolutely love making them.

I have fallen in love with DP9. It's easy and looks fun and scrappy! I have used it many times!

My favorite quilt pattern is the double Irish chain.

I love a Log Cabin.........but Sampler quilts are also fun.....but my ultimate fun is a bit of a mix - I enjoy patchwork married with embroidery - or quilted projects with diffents kinds of embellishments; yo-yo's, buttons, etc....

I love bow tie blocks. Easy to change or combine sizes, can use lots of little scraps and easy to arrange blocks into different settings.

My favorite is whatever quilt I am going to be starting next! I get bored easily so I never make the same quilt twice. I am always excited about what I have lined up to make next cause I haven't had time to get bored with it yet. :-)

My favorite is a version grandmother's flower garden. I have a top done, but have figured out how to get it in as my avatar, yet. I like the shape of the piece and so many variations are available.

Banned
    No matter what I start out planning my quilts all seem to become scrap quilts - sometimes monocromatic, sometimes with lots of colour.
    My favorite block is Jacob's Ladder.

I was about ready to start Judy Martin's, Snake river log cabin, when I was asked to do a T-shirt quilt and I said yes because I can do it how I want to lol. So I have the blocks all cut at 15 1/2 ( he is a big guy) and some blocks I have to built to make it the size I want. I will show it as I go along...

My favorite Quilt block is which ever one I am working on now. I get bored easily and so I enjoy the challenge of something new.

Sheila

I agree with Rosyhf! Whichever quilt is my next project is my favorite,LOL.

I see a new one, and fall in love, and its the most beautiful, most perfect, my favorite ever in my life............until I come across one I like better, LOL!