View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM
catrancher

I do a lot of applique. I've never tried hand applique because I really need to avoid hand work as much as possible. But I do fusing and machine applique. I use Heat 'n Bond Lite and it has never let me down. You might have to reverse the design for some patterns, but many are already reversed for you. It's easy enough to do and a light box helps a lot.

You can make a simple light box by using one of those plastic art totes--they're about 15 inches square and about 3 inches deep. Just stick a flashlight or some other kind of light inside, and there you go. You have a light box.

I have done blanket stitch, satin stitch, and raw edge (meaning I just stitch very close to the edge). Raw edge gives a completely different look. My favorite it blanket stitch. I sew about three straight stitches, then switch to blanket stitch, then cover the straight stitches when I get around to the beginning, and finish off with a few more straight stitches right over the blanket stitch. You can't see them at all because they are hidden by the blanket stitch.

It takes a little practice, and it would be good to read up on pivoting around corners and curves, but it's pretty simple. Really, you'll be surprised how easy it is, and it will open up a whole new world of quilting for you.