Thread: Just read this
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by loopywren
I was never spanked, my Father died when I was very young, my Mum worked so I lived a free life playing in parks and on the beach with friends,when not at school. I never knew any friends spanked either. My three daughters were never spanked neither were my four grandchildren and non of us have any been in trouble of any sort, we are all caring loving people. We did learn how to behave by example and being talked to and explained what was right and wrong and why. I most certainly do not believe in spanking ever. My husband was a prison officer in one of the hardest prisons in London, and he used to say it was the children who had been spanked were the ones ended up in prison as men, as they learnt violence very young. There will probably never be agreement over this, we all do what we think is right at the time.
I'm guessing he meant they were hit by their parents. There is a huge difference between being hit and being spanked. We got spankings on our bottoms only, never hit in the face, stomach or anywhere else. And my dad always used his hand. I used to feel so sorry for my friend who got her spankings with a belt. And on the back is abuse. There are only a couple of reasons for a spanking. One is willful disobedience (doing something right after being told not to) and backtalk. There is a cooling off period for the child to think about why they are getting a spanking and for the parent so it isn't more than just a swat. My mom never did the spanking because she was beaten by her mom and wasn't sure she could spank without getting carried away into abuse. Not everyone shoud spank.