View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
doxieloverred

=noveltyjunkie]I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?[/quote]

I think being American comes into it because we're constantly being told by the media how much other countries hate us. Therefore, we feel we have no right to complain about the minor pitfalls of life because it reflects on us collectively as a nation. We all get lumped into a singular group that just doesn't fit! Like any other nation, we have wonderful people and not-so-wonderful people. I personally feel that Americans are the most giving, generous people on earth. We are often portrayed as rich, spoiled brats which, for the most part, is simply not true. As far as I'm concerned, YouTube is a place that many go to get their 10" of fame--they hope to get noticed for some rather weird stunts, and they don't seem to know when enough is enough. And you're right--intelligent people don't base prejudice about a country on one person they meet or read about.
I've changed my outlook on life alot (major illnesses seem to have that effect on people) and often ask myself if the annoyance will matter in a day, a week, a year. If the answer is no--and it usually is--let it go.
I try not to criticize a whole chain for one bad employee either. But if I get exceptional service, I try to reward it too, either by phone, email or letter to the store or corporate office. And I have to say that I had an exceptional JoAnn staff person today. I did price matches and she even pointed out a coupon from a competitor that I could use, besides the JoAnn coupons I had already used! Since I had not seen it, it would have been just as easy for her not to say a word. Plus it was near closing time on a holiday at a Supercenter. It was quite obvious they had been very busy today.
I agree that we can sometimes be more positive but I have vented on this board too. One day I put my blocks together wrong--every one of them (but at least I'm consistant!) :) and while it was negative in a frustrated sort of way, I at least got assurance that I wasn't the first, nor would I be the last person to do so--so buck up and get on with it! I also got some VERY creative names for seam rippers! I laughed and laughed and then I started taking blocks apart. Tomorrow I will put them back together and all will be well.
People on this board are awesome and I learn something new everyday. Therefore, when I get a chance to pay it forward, I get excited because I can finally give back in some small way for everyone and everything on this board. And if there is a negative topic and I don't care to read it, there are plenty of others in which to take part. So thanks everyone, you are great!