Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92

Thread: Pledge to be Positive

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newberg, OR
    Posts
    1,941
    I stopped sewing to address an issue that came up a couple of weeks ago. I started a topic about JoAnn's coupons that devolved into a pretty negative thread. It looks like it's been removed and so I can't address the person I'm trying to find directly--I hope she's reading.

    Someone posted that she wondered why we still shop at JoAnn's if we're unhappy there and made the excellent point that this forum is seen all over the world, and that such negative comments reflect badly on those of us who are Americans. (I suppose Americans aren't the only ones, but since most of us are Americans, I'm speaking directly to my countrymen and women.)

    So I've given this quite a bit of thought and looked back over my topic log to see how often I've complained about something. Not too many times, I'm glad to see, but enough that I've decided I need to make a sincere attempt to be more positive in the things I write here.

    With that said, I catrancher, pledge to keep my topics positive and not whine and complain about the minor inconveniences in my life. While I think there's something cathartic about talking to others about things that upset or offend me, I need to keep those comments private and discuss them only with close friends and family--not on a public forum.

    I can't remember who posted the comment that got me thinking about this, but I apologize for upsetting you. That was never my intention. I just wanted you to know that you've given me a lot to think about, and I'm turning over a new leaf.

  2. #2
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,475
    Well said Catrancher!

    I really try to have a positive attitude and outlook on life and I think it has made me and my family much happier and healthier than otherwise.
    Sometimes there are things that need be brought up, but we must remember that this is a very public forum and anyone can see what we write. If we try to keep a positive outlook on life we would all be much happier people. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  3. #3
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boonsboro, MD
    Posts
    2,721
    Blog Entries
    1
    Very well stated. That day had me thinking also. I don't think I got into it but you are so right. We do represent America as far as this board is concerned and should put our best foot? forward. I too will think before I put words to computer.

  4. #4
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    I will try...

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newberg, OR
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Very well stated. That day had me thinking also. I don't think I got into it but you are so right. We do represent America as far as this board is concerned and should put our best foot? forward. I too will think before I put words to computer.
    It occurred to me that when I travel in a foreign country, I always try to put my best foot forward. This really is no different.

  6. #6
    Super Member SharonAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,464
    I'd like to say something nice about JoAnn's, although I have never had cause to complain about them. And today, they were exceptional about honoring their mistake and to my favor. A bolt of batik was marked at $10.99/yard, and the sign above the batiks stated 30% off which would have made the price $7.69 per yard. The 5 yard cut was completed and the price ticket handed to me and the pricing came up at $9.09 per yard. I asked the cutter to please adjust the price and gave her my calculation explanation, and she said she could not do so once it was printed, but she DID look it up and said that apparently the store had raised the price but the bolt sticker was not corrected. She told me to take it to the checkout counter and tell them to override and give me the lower price. I did, and they did. I was happy and they were gracious about it, as well. Made me smile. AND there is also a wonderful cutter who had waited on me a few weeks ago and we had a lovely conversation at that time. When I returned the other day, she had recalled our conversation and asked me a question about it. I was surprised and flattered. Good choice of employees, JoAnn's... Thanks for doing the right thing today.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Keene, New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,269
    I noticed that I was skipping alot of entries because of so much carping.
    I have a rubber bracelet that I bought several of for my family - No Complaints.

  8. #8
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,687
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think that criticism has its place but one negative comment does not have to be belabored. Nor does it have to turn into a feeding frency at the shark tank.

    Good for you for wanting to stay positive.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    I have been thinking for quite awhile about people making generalizations about a store or a group because of one they don't care for. Also posting a complaint before even trying to deal with the manager or owner of an establishment. It is really quite easy to get sucked into these types of topics. It really does bother me.

    I hear a lot of people complaining about JoAnn's. They have always been good to me. Sometimes I think the "Do unto others as you want them to do unto you." holds true. I remember a topic posted about Hancock's and their classes being just horrible. I admit that I became defensive about that because I taught beginning quilting. I had to finally unwatch the topic because it was upsetting. I went out of my way to teach everything I could in a positive way. I taught school and I know how to teach. The opinions were that the only places where you get good classes were at a LQS. I took classes at one LQS where they handed you the book and then you did it on your own. I helped the gal I was with because she was lost. I didn't mind helping her at all, but the teacher was getting paid. Again putting all LQS in one category because of this experience would not be fair.
    These generalizations are just not good for anyone. I have a friend who always has problems at JoAnn's, and I question attitudes being presented. It is human nature for them to get defensive if you have a poor attitude, even if it isn't what they should do sometimes. I think in our society now there are a lot of people who just have no patience to deal with difficulties. I may be wrong, but I think we need to think before we speak.
    I will stop before I get rotten eggs thrown at me. I don't like cleaning enough to clean them up.

  10. #10
    Super Member noveltyjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    53 degrees North
    Posts
    1,660
    Blog Entries
    3
    I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?

  11. #11
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    Noveltyjunkie,
    WELL SAID!
    I didn't see that video, but it sounds like a strange thing to do.

  12. #12
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,455
    Noveltyjunkie, America does NOT come into it!!! As you said it's about a person's values, no matter where you live or come from!!
    Thanks for the great post.
    Catrancher, I remember your post and I didn't think you were out of line at all! But I'm all for being positive and your "pledge" is so cute!! I'm on the fence with this topic b/c I think venting is fine and if someone doesn't want to read it they can just hit the delete button. But that's just my opinion.
    Having said that I think there is a lot to be said for having a positive attitude in general. I believe it's infectious. At the risk of sounding like a goody-goody I have found that treating people with decency, kindness and respect in all walks of life makes everything better. If I don't get it in return I just let it go. I've done my part and that's all that matters :D

  13. #13
    crawford1219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    766
    Great attitude-way to go! I know that I personally use this board as a sort of therapy-it is my escape from the realities of life that can suck you down at times. As a matter of fact I started quilted as a hobby to help me get through the hard times when my bipolar son goes manic so anything and everything quilting is somewhat therapeutic to me. I cannot tell you how dissapointed I can get at times when I get on here and see blatant negativity-I have never posted about it in the past simply because I felt I would be negative myself for mentioning the negatvity. I didn't see your post and am not referring to you in any way-please don't think that I am. The other day I saw a post that was locked that was complaining about poor service at a certain shop and a moderator-who has a position of authority on this board and in a sense represents this board with her actions-showed a ton of bias and locked the topic because she didn't want the statements made by the creator of the topic shared with the public. It was a negative topic, however, it was no different than the dozens of complaints we have seen toward Joanne's or Hancocks on this board and these threads are not shut down or locked. My jaw dropped because it just seemed a blatant abuse of power-for all the public to see- and was just so negative that I was disgusted. I hate to have my "happy place" corrupted so I applaud you for taking the stance of keeping it positive :thumbup: (As a side note, I do realize I dumped some negativity here but felt I needed to explain my viewpoint of why I am so happy to see your post).

  14. #14
    crawford1219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Noveltyjunkie, America does NOT come into it!!! As you said it's about a person's values, no matter where you live or come from!!
    Thanks for the great post.
    Catrancher, I remember your post and I didn't think you were out of line at all! But I'm all for being positive and your "pledge" is so cute!! I'm on the fence with this topic b/c I think venting is fine and if someone doesn't want to read it they can just hit the delete button. But that's just my opinion.
    Having said that I think there is a lot to be said for having a positive attitude in general. I believe it's infectious. At the risk of sounding like a goody-goody I have found that treating people with decency, kindness and respect in all walks of life makes everything better. If I don't get it in return I just let it go. I've done my part and that's all that matters :D
    I agree with you about venting being fine but I do hate to see it when people start being ugly, hateful, rude, or condescending toward one another-those are the posts that make me cringe. But you are right-all we have to do is hit delete :)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    I am English not American and I think everyone on this board is great. I have felt uncomfortable with the occasional statement but then I remember all the good things I have followed and learnt.Someone usually puts that person right sooner rather than later. No one surely is going to judge the whole board by a few statements. You are so helpful and kind to each other, I will never get tired of telling you so.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?
    BRAVO! :thumbup:
    One of my favorites quotes is:

    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

    Stick to your morals/values. (just my opinion)

  17. #17
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,455
    Lady-T- I believe that first quote was Eleanor Roosevelt and she had many challenges in her life!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    488
    That's probably why I don't post often, positivity is not a natural Irish trait LOL.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newberg, OR
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Noveltyjunkie, America does NOT come into it!!! As you said it's about a person's values, no matter where you live or come from!!
    Of course, America doesn't come into it and it is definitely about a person's values. I only brought it up as Americans because I was speaking specifically to the one member who got me thinking about this in the first place. She was the one who brought up the point that this forum is read all over the world, and so I was referencing what she said. I did not intend to imply that Americans should somehow be different from people of other nations in this regard.

    That said, however, (and maybe I've missed something) I've never seen a thread where a group of Australians or a group of Europeans or any members from anywhere else are carping about some local place that we Americans don't know anything about. Nevertheless, noveltyjunkie, your point is well taken and everyone everywhere should be polite on such a big public stage.

  20. #20
    Senior Member kapatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    820
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher

    Someone posted that she wondered why we still shop at JoAnn's if we're unhappy there and made the excellent point that this forum is seen all over the world, and that such negative comments reflect badly on those of us who are Americans.
    I guess I have a more relaxed viewpoint on all of this. I am a proud American but I have lived in other countries and enjoyed their culture. When I read the comments about Jo-Anns, I didn't take it that we were sending a wrong message to others. I read it with the understanding that there was a problem with JoAnns. I appreciated the comments that were made about the coupons because I have also felt the same way. It is okay to complain about a business when there is a problem.

    I have read many different threads concerning JoAnns and you know what....the threads have never changed my viewpoint about JoAnns. I've been shopping at their store for the last 18 years (ever since I moved back to the U.S.). I appreciate the store. I appreciate the coupons and I use the coupons in the way that best helps me. I have three JoAnns within close driving distance (close to me is where I can get their in 40 minutes). I have a favorite JoAnn's store because it isn't as big as the other ones and the clerks are very friendly (they have the time to be friendly). Unfortunately, since they are not as big, they don't carry everything the other stores carry.
    The other two JoAnns are bigger and the clerks don't have time to talk about what project I'll make with the material that I am buying. That is fine because they are trying to take care of the needs of all of their clients...I appreciate that too.

    I think that most of us are independent thinkers and we can read complaints without being unfairly influenced on whether we'll shop there or not.
    I hope that others on this board will continue to post their thoughts (good or bad) on the stores they use; what they think of the magazines' copyright attitude; and anything else that pertains to quilting. Your comments and posts have been very helpful to me in seeing the big pictures.

  21. #21
    Super Member ksea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,635
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?
    Hear Hear, very well said, I too have lived in and traveled to lots of different countries and I don't really make generalizations about everyone based on a few. What would that say about me personally? I agree that there is good and bad everywhere and look at the person and situations individually before making opinions.

  22. #22
    Super Member ksea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,635
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    That's probably why I don't post often, positivity is not a natural Irish trait LOL.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

  23. #23
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    The reason I enjoy this is the different opinions and view points, and know the positive attitude is sometimes what gets you thru the day. Having said that, don't care to put down someone else, or insult the way they look at something, think it's just a people thing. (try to recognize when a complaining is just that) :)

  24. #24
    pookie ookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Trifid Nebula
    Posts
    1,305
    It's not that strange of a thing to do. Try deployment sometime. Plus, let's remember that electronics for personal use are purchased by the service members themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newberg, OR
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    It's not that strange of a thing to do. Try deployment sometime. Plus, let's remember that electronics for personal use are purchased by the service members themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?
    I'm sorry, I don't understand this comment. Are you on the right thread?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.