Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 92

Thread: Pledge to be Positive

  1. #51
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Joplin, Missouri
    Posts
    1,060
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you listen anywhere people are talking together, you'll easily be able to find one or many that are complaining or being negative.. I think its as simple as this.. to speak about how bad, how poor, how mistreated, how unfair or how someone did this or that is the easiest thing to do.. It's much harder to find those things that are good and right and pure and beautiful, those who do right or are honorable and honest.. you actually have to think about them, they don't just roll out like complaining does. It's so easy to complain... Like all people everywhere we usually opt for the easy way.. so sometimes I think we are complaining just to hear ourselves talk or to be a part of the conversation.. or perhaps any thought that comes into our head dribbles out our mouths (or out through our fingers in this case!). Just listen to people around you.. most people can relate to the negative because it's easiest.

    Good for you Catrancher.. It's harder to be positive, but well worth the effort. That was a very transparent and personal part of your life you shared with us.. I see why you feel the way you do. I too try to be positive, for me it is what I need to do, however, once in awhile I find myself slipping into negativity... and have to remind myself to step up to where I want to be.. Thanks for the reminder.

    I also think that many people and businesses are still where they are because good people said nothing. I don't think we should be quiet about wrongs done.

    I'm just very grateful that I live in a country that we have the freedom to say what we want, postive or negative!! Not everyone can!

  2. #52
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    I spent several HOURS one evening, going through the 500+ pages, ( I only saw about 30+ pages that night) of pictures that have been posted here. I just want to say that when things get too 'real' in my world, it is a blessing to be able to just relax and enjoy the predominately positive things that are said to each other on this board. To quote reader's digest, I try to spend a few minutes each day 'committing random acts of kindness'. It is harder to get caught in a negative head space, if you are on the look out for today's random act. I enjoy reading all the opinions here. I hope nothing I ever say on here offends anyone, but if it does, please PM me to point it out so I can say how sorry I am. I would never hurt someone on purpose. I don't think anyone here does it intentionally. (I hope!) :thumbup:

  3. #53
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Galveston Texas
    Posts
    1,612
    There are negative people and positive people and I think it will always be that way. If I remember correctly the post was about not being able to use your coupon because of the items on sale. I don't think that was negative, it was a fact. Now what resulted may have been a feeding frenzy of negativity. But I thought that was a good thing to know about the coupon. I like the people at JoAnns, I don't care for their fabric. I don't think that is negative, I think it is my opinion. I have learned that if I have a problem, that you can usually work it out with a civil attitude. And I think if you don't try to work it out, you don't have the right to complain. When I was working in vacation rentals, I appreciated that if some one had a problem, they told us so we could take care of it. However, I have found that some people would rather complain than fix it.

    I also like to hear good and bad about tools. When I buy something I always look at the comments before I commit. One negative remark among a lot of positive remarks will not sway me, I just figure they were one of the negative people.

    Sorry to ramble on so much.

  4. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan!
    Posts
    253
    =noveltyjunkie]I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?[/quote]


    I think being American comes into it because we're constantly being told by the media how much other countries hate us. Therefore, we feel we have no right to complain about the minor pitfalls of life because it reflects on us collectively as a nation. We all get lumped into a singular group that just doesn't fit! Like any other nation, we have wonderful people and not-so-wonderful people. I personally feel that Americans are the most giving, generous people on earth. We are often portrayed as rich, spoiled brats which, for the most part, is simply not true. As far as I'm concerned, YouTube is a place that many go to get their 10" of fame--they hope to get noticed for some rather weird stunts, and they don't seem to know when enough is enough. And you're right--intelligent people don't base prejudice about a country on one person they meet or read about.
    I've changed my outlook on life alot (major illnesses seem to have that effect on people) and often ask myself if the annoyance will matter in a day, a week, a year. If the answer is no--and it usually is--let it go.
    I try not to criticize a whole chain for one bad employee either. But if I get exceptional service, I try to reward it too, either by phone, email or letter to the store or corporate office. And I have to say that I had an exceptional JoAnn staff person today. I did price matches and she even pointed out a coupon from a competitor that I could use, besides the JoAnn coupons I had already used! Since I had not seen it, it would have been just as easy for her not to say a word. Plus it was near closing time on a holiday at a Supercenter. It was quite obvious they had been very busy today.
    I agree that we can sometimes be more positive but I have vented on this board too. One day I put my blocks together wrong--every one of them (but at least I'm consistant!) :) and while it was negative in a frustrated sort of way, I at least got assurance that I wasn't the first, nor would I be the last person to do so--so buck up and get on with it! I also got some VERY creative names for seam rippers! I laughed and laughed and then I started taking blocks apart. Tomorrow I will put them back together and all will be well.
    People on this board are awesome and I learn something new everyday. Therefore, when I get a chance to pay it forward, I get excited because I can finally give back in some small way for everyone and everything on this board. And if there is a negative topic and I don't care to read it, there are plenty of others in which to take part. So thanks everyone, you are great!

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    in the heart of the awl
    Posts
    994
    ok girls-go to this link and when a black page comes up, click anywhere on the page, OR hold down your mouse and move it all over!!! This will bring smiles to your faces no matter how your day of quilting is going!!!
    http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

  6. #56
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,356
    Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    ok girls-go to this link and when a black page comes up, click anywhere on the page, OR hold down your mouse and move it all over!!! This will bring smiles to your faces no matter how your day of quilting is going!!!
    http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf
    Thanks :) I wish it were so quick in my "real garden" ;)

  7. #57
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    ok girls-go to this link and when a black page comes up, click anywhere on the page, OR hold down your mouse and move it all over!!! This will bring smiles to your faces no matter how your day of quilting is going!!!
    http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf
    That is very cute, and if that didn't work-- Molly (Mini poodle) is curled on my lap in a blankie. She thinks she is cold. All is right in the world as she cuddles.

  8. #58
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like it. What fun.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    That is so funny!I thought you Irish were a happy lot,good cheer and all that.
    Not since the collapse of the Celtic Tiger, at any rate. Though I would've previously said "melancholy" was a more normal attribute than the downright negativity that seems prevalent these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    If we went to sites that the majority were another country, I'm sure you'd find complaints about someplace there.
    It's true. On my other favourite internet hangout, boards.ie, you can find MANY forums full of negativity and complaints! Rip-Off Ireland, Consumer Issues, and Ranting and Raving are dedicated to them, and of course the wilds that are known as After Hours often descends into bashing of something or other!

  10. #60
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hiding in Maine
    Posts
    208
    Good Morning,
    In my little world I have noticed that something good has always come after something bad. So my goal is to keep looking for the good.

    About two years ago my husband and I decided to make it a point to tell people what they did to please us. It shocks people when you say, you want to speak to their boss about something, something GOOD !

    Don't get me wrong.
    I work hard on not complaining. It can be so easy to do.

    Staying positive is hard sometimes but telling the world the bad stuff sometimes makes things worse.
    Happy Thoughts,I am babbling, the first cup of coffee is coming.
    Christina (chrissy)

  11. #61
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,455
    The Good, The Bad, The Ugly- I LOVE this board and all the members!!!!!!! :D:D:D
    Everyone have a great day!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #62
    Senior Member 3TreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prince Edward Island, CANADA
    Posts
    608
    I just have to say how envious I am to those of you who live in large centers where there are more than 2 fabric stores. I have a great time finding the deals that I can when I shop the 2 stores that I have available to me, and often find some great deals.

    Now living on an Island is that way, so I have learned to not complain. I rather enjoy the deals that I DO get, however I must say that I DO get ENVIOUS!
    TreeFrog

  13. #63
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,455
    Treefrog, PEI is a place I've always wanted to go. When I saw the Anne of Green Gables Series I fell totally in love with that place!!! It's on my list :D
    In the meantime, I have the set and watch it at least once a year!!

  14. #64
    Super Member Lucy90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,914
    I have had troubles with Jo Ann's and had good experiences. I don't think it has anything to do with being an American, it has to do with how badly some stores treat people and to give people a heads up on what to watch for. So get off the American thing and just give all people the truth and the right facts.

  15. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan!
    Posts
    253
    That is awesome! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    ok girls-go to this link and when a black page comes up, click anywhere on the page, OR hold down your mouse and move it all over!!! This will bring smiles to your faces no matter how your day of quilting is going!!!
    http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

  16. #66
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan!
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by christina bennett
    About two years ago my husband and I decided to make it a point to tell people what they did to please us. It shocks people when you say, you want to speak to their boss about something, something GOOD !
    Christina (chrissy)
    Yes! I've noticed this also, and the look you get is sometimes filled with suspicion! But it doesn't stop me from catching them being good... :)

  17. #67
    Senior Member 3TreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prince Edward Island, CANADA
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Treefrog, PEI is a place I've always wanted to go. When I saw the Anne of Green Gables Series I fell totally in love with that place!!! It's on my list :D
    In the meantime, I have the set and watch it at least once a year!!
    I lived in Kirkland Lake ON (Northern ON) and moved here to PEI in '96! I absolutely love it here! It is worth the drive! If you ever come, let me know. The best months to come are July to October, as we get a late spring as well as a late fall! I LOVE IT HERE!

    Where about in ON are you?
    TreeFrog

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    La Verne, CA
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I have been thinking for quite awhile about people making generalizations about a store or a group because of one they don't care for. Also posting a complaint before even trying to deal with the manager or owner of an establishment. It is really quite easy to get sucked into these types of topics. It really does bother me.

    I hear a lot of people complaining about JoAnn's. They have always been good to me. Sometimes I think the "Do unto others as you want them to do unto you." holds true. I remember a topic posted about Hancock's and their classes being just horrible. I admit that I became defensive about that because I taught beginning quilting. I had to finally unwatch the topic because it was upsetting. I went out of my way to teach everything I could in a positive way. I taught school and I know how to teach. The opinions were that the only places where you get good classes were at a LQS. I took classes at one LQS where they handed you the book and then you did it on your own. I helped the gal I was with because she was lost. I didn't mind helping her at all, but the teacher was getting paid. Again putting all LQS in one category because of this experience would not be fair.
    These generalizations are just not good for anyone. I have a friend who always has problems at JoAnn's, and I question attitudes being presented. It is human nature for them to get defensive if you have a poor attitude, even if it isn't what they should do sometimes. I think in our society now there are a lot of people who just have no patience to deal with difficulties. I may be wrong, but I think we need to think before we speak.
    I will stop before I get rotten eggs thrown at me. I don't like cleaning enough to clean them up.
    I agree with you 100% attitude is everything.
    One year at Christmas time I kept running into people with terrible attitudes and I let it ruin my holiday. The next Christmas time I decided that no matter what happened I would smile and only be positive. It worked I only ran into maybe two clerks with a nasty attitude. But before I left I made them smile and hope I changed their attitude for that day.
    So be positive and smile it will make you feel better.

  19. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    La Verne, CA
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by doxieloverred
    Quote Originally Posted by christina bennett
    About two years ago my husband and I decided to make it a point to tell people what they did to please us. It shocks people when you say, you want to speak to their boss about something, something GOOD !
    Christina (chrissy)
    Yes! I've noticed this also, and the look you get is sometimes filled with suspicion! But it doesn't stop me from catching them being good... :)
    I have done this several times and yes they get very nervous.
    But I think people should be aknowledged for their good works.

  20. #70
    Super Member judy_68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,420
    I was going to respond to this post but realize that I don't have time to read it all so I will just say.... I personally like JoAnn Fabircs... I can afford them. I think we all have our opinions and they are all important to each of us. Just because I don't agree with somebody else doesnt mean I don't respect their opinion just like I expect them to respect mine.
    Judy in Ohio

  21. #71
    Senior Member JackieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Southwest
    Posts
    508
    It's nice to read all of the comments in response to your/our commitment to be positive. I just finished reading a thread where people were bashing the employees at Hancock's, JoAnn's, Wal-Mart, etc. Some of the comments were extremely rude and obnoxious, especially the two who wrote that the retail clerks are all paid minimum wage and know nothing about sewing.
    So...my reaction is not to respond to such comments, although I have an inclination to remind those two how difficult it is to (1) find a job these days, minimum wage or not; and (2) having knowledge of sewing is not a prerequisite for being able to cut fabric.
    Let's all be courteous and friendly, and if we need an extra 2 inches, don't expect that it will be given to you--ask for it. Besides, you never know--if you are pleasant to the person behind the cutting counter or register, you might just get a few extra inches. How you treat service personnel is a reflection of you.

  22. #72
    Super Member G'ma Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    west central Illinois
    Posts
    1,054
    I went to JoAnn's Saturday morning, they had just "clearanced" the calicos, and I got $1000 worth of fabric for less than $200. I think you find what you are looking for, be it good or bad.

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    La Verne, CA
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    I went to JoAnn's Saturday morning, they had just "clearanced" the calicos, and I got $1000 worth of fabric for less than $200. I think you find what you are looking for, be it good or bad.
    Was the store closing???
    How much was the fabric per yard????????
    WOW what a deal.

  24. #74
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan!
    Posts
    253
    I have to say too, that I think rudeness sometimes comes about as a result of these stores being understaffed. It is frustrating when you're not able to find someone to cut fabric or feel your time is being wasted by having to wait for someone to come from another department or leave their lunch or break to cut fabric. So I try really, really hard not to criticize when I have to wait as it is not the employee's fault but rather management/corporate's. And I remember well what it's like to have to skip breaks or lunch to take care of a patient so I sympathize with them. Plus, they apologize for making me wait, when I know darn well that this guy cutting my fabric at 8 pm was waiting on someone else in sporting goods.
    A friend of mine put it in perspective when she told me about her sil coming over from Czechoslovakia. The friend had complained about waiting in a checkout line and her sil told her she often stood in line ALL DAY to receive a loaf of bread back home (and was grateful for whatever she could get). I will never forget that story and try to "chill" when waiting. I usually find someone who's willing to chat and kids are so fun to talk to anyway. :) Kids can put a smile on my face in a heartbeat!

    Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    It's nice to read all of the comments in response to your/our commitment to be positive. I just finished reading a thread where people were bashing the employees at Hancock's, JoAnn's, Wal-Mart, etc. Some of the comments were extremely rude and obnoxious, especially the two who wrote that the retail clerks are all paid minimum wage and know nothing about sewing.
    So...my reaction is not to respond to such comments, although I have an inclination to remind those two how difficult it is to (1) find a job these days, minimum wage or not; and (2) having knowledge of sewing is not a prerequisite for being able to cut fabric.
    Let's all be courteous and friendly, and if we need an extra 2 inches, don't expect that it will be given to you--ask for it. Besides, you never know--if you are pleasant to the person behind the cutting counter or register, you might just get a few extra inches. How you treat service personnel is a reflection of you.

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    in the heart of the awl
    Posts
    994
    Please forgive me, but I just HAVE to re-post this. It will bring a smile to your face-and if you hit the refresh button, it will erase it and you can start over!

    http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

    I laugh everytime I go there!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.