Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pledge to be Positive

I think we all have the right to complain about anything that disturbs us. The members on this board are our friends and you need a friend to vent to at times. What you expressed in your post is how you felt at that time and I'm sure you felt better after you had done so. If one person does not like it, they don't have to read it or the comments made by other members. We all want to be postive at all times, but old negativity creeps in for all of us.

Blog Entries
    I once listened to a lecturer from a reknown university describe an experiment they were conducting. They gave volunteers a "pager" (goes back a ways) and the only thing they asked the vols to do was to record their thoughts anytime the pager went off. Their findings were that the majority of the time people were either complaining verbally about something or having negative thoughts about a situation. This in a land of liberty, freedom and plenty. This gave me lots to think about and I've been reminding myself about this lecture anytime I start to get negative about a petty thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    It's not that strange of a thing to do. Try deployment sometime. Plus, let's remember that electronics for personal use are purchased by the service members themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?
    What does this mean?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I think someone posted on the wrong thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I once listened to a lecturer from a reknown university describe an experiment they were conducting. They gave volunteers a "pager" (goes back a ways) and the only thing they asked the vols to do was to record their thoughts anytime the pager went off. Their findings were that the majority of the time people were either complaining verbally about something or having negative thoughts about a situation. This in a land of liberty, freedom and plenty. This gave me lots to think about and I've been reminding myself about this lecture anytime I start to get negative about a petty thing.
    That's very interesting. Actually, it doesn't surprise me. I'm kind of interested in the responses I've received to this post too. When I wrote it, I was only speaking for myself. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me--or anyone, for that matter. I only control myself and no one else. (What a big responsibility that would be--to control others!)

Anyway . . . there have been a lot of views, but not so many posts. It seems quite a few who have commented prefer to maintain their "ability" (for lack of a better word--"opportunity" maybe?) to complain publicly. That's certainly their/your right. It is interesting though. I would have expected more to want to join in. But that's just me.

I guess I want to say in my own defense that in 1983, my one and only daughter died 36 hours after her birth. She had a lot of problems from a random chromosome anomaly. It happens 1 in 10,000 births. I'll never get over the odds that it would happen to me. Had she lived, she would have required constant care for her entire life. It's one thing to care for an infant with problems. A fully-grown adult? That's a whole different story. As I write this, I'm aware that some of you are in just that situation. You have my sincere respect. All of that to say that her death was not unexpected, and while it remains the most difficult experience of my life, it was a relief that she did not survive. (And it's painful to say that. I always feel selfish when I do.)

So I have no regret about her death. I regret that she wasn't born healthy. But the biggest regret of my life is that I wasn't with her when she died. That experience taught me to try as much as possible to live my life without regret. When I make decisions about my behavior, I ask myself if it will cause me regret if I do this or that or the other thing. I can't control very many things; but I can control my own behavior. And I found myself regretting the negative things I've said on this board. And, because I try to live my life without regret, I decided to set myself straight by vowing to do better--publicly.

You can join me if you want. I don't really care. But it's important to me--for myself only--to apologize when I think I've upset someone needlessly. That's all this is about. It's all it ever was about. Agree or not. I'm still glad I said it.

I can feel better because I got on the board and wrote something negative. Or I can decide to look on the positive side and not dwell on minor upsets. I choose the latter.

Venting is actually bad for your health. Vent posts just seem to drag out the negativity.

http://www.examiner.com/healthy-livi...ealthy-for-you

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Venting is actually bad for your health. Vent posts just seem to drag out the negativity.

http://www.examiner.com/healthy-livi...ealthy-for-you
    Interesting, and not at all surprising. It does seem that venting posts can devolve into a shark feeding frenzy, as someone said earlier. I like that description.

Along this line, I find I avoid people with negative additudes because they start to drag me down, too.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for posting this! I really appreciate it. I got my head bit off for trying to be positive, but your post helps me to just 'unwatch' the topic and let them throw mud without me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Thank you so much for posting this! I really appreciate it. I got my head bit off for trying to be positive, but your post helps me to just 'unwatch' the topic and let them throw mud without me!!!!
    Sadiemae, are you the one I'm trying to reach?

Blog Entries
    I don't know--Are you trying to reach me?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't know--Are you trying to reach me?
    Sent you a PM.

Blog Entries
    Sent you a pm.

Blog Entries
    I agree that sometimes topics on this board do seem to out of control and generally those are the negative ones...I don't know why. I'm glad to see someone who wants to maintain a postivie attitude..its refreshing.

Catrancher, Here is my positiveism for the day. I am so blessed to be here today for yet another wonderful day in my life in this world. It is a beautiful day here and I bet somewhere else , and for all the blessings I have received or will receive, I thank my maker sincerely. Let us all try to remember to be thankful for POSITIVE things in our lives, even the simplest things.
    By the way, I really like your blog. BE HAPPY ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Noveltyjunkie, America does NOT come into it!!! As you said it's about a person's values, no matter where you live or come from!!
    Of course, America doesn't come into it and it is definitely about a person's values. I only brought it up as Americans because I was speaking specifically to the one member who got me thinking about this in the first place. She was the one who brought up the point that this forum is read all over the world, and so I was referencing what she said. I did not intend to imply that Americans should somehow be different from people of other nations in this regard.

That said, however, (and maybe I've missed something) I've never seen a thread where a group of Australians or a group of Europeans or any members from anywhere else are carping about some local place that we Americans don't know anything about. Nevertheless, noveltyjunkie, your point is well taken and everyone everywhere should be polite on such a big public stage.
    Well, of course other countries gripe about certain stores,etc. Thats a human thing, not a country thing.

We just don't hear it because we hang out on sites that are mostly Americans. Yes, theres other countries here, but I'd bet its over 90% Americans here.

If we went to sites that the majority were another country, I'm sure you'd find complaints about someplace there.

I do totally agree with everything else you said, though. You are being the change that you want to see! I applaud you!

Don't remember the situation specifically but I will say that this same scenario popped up a few years ago on Compuserve and AOL quilting boards. Bottom line is every every member has a right to express their own opinions be they negative or positive and every member also has the right to skip over any topic they don't want to read. That's pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    That's probably why I don't post often, positivity is not a natural Irish trait LOL.
    That is so funny!I thought you Irish were a happy lot,good cheer and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by dphelps
    Catrancher, Here is my positiveism for the day. I am so blessed to be here today for yet another wonderful day in my life in this world. It is a beautiful day here and I bet somewhere else , and for all the blessings I have received or will receive, I thank my maker sincerely. Let us all try to remember to be thankful for POSITIVE things in our lives, even the simplest things.
    By the way, I really like your blog. BE HAPPY ALL!
    Thank you. I love your post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I think that criticism has its place but one negative comment does not have to be belabored. Nor does it have to turn into a feeding frency at the shark tank.

Good for you for wanting to stay positive.
    I agree. For every negative experience, we could mention a hundred good experiences. We just tend to focus on the things that go wrong more. I appreciate the warnings from folks about businesses or products that are less than satisfactory, but I appreciate even more those that inform me of really good products or retailers. Thanks for all the great advice. And thanks for grace if we're having a rough day!

I agree with Kapatt. Some of the negativity I felt came from the fact that I have shopped at JoAnn's for years, enjoy the interaction with the staff and hate to see them lose the focus that I found so perfect for my needs. That being said I still shop there and hope they stay in business.

I also agree that this site would not be the great place to hang out, that it is, if it became negative all the time but 99.9% of the posts are positive, helpful and informative. The occasional negative one can also be helpful and in this particular instance reflected my feelings.

Power Poster
    I read your comment and agree that it is so much better for all of us to try to be positive but I also think that you need to be yourself. We are all human and need to complain once in a while. When people don't experience or let all their feelings out (happy, sad, positive, negative, hurt or scared) is when they can become intorverted or invite sickness upon themselves. I believe that disease is caused by people who are not at ease and how can one fully live life and learn to be at ease unless we allow ourselves to experience and express all of the emotions that make us human. Just my learning opinion. :)

I guess I missed the whole thing since I wasn't interested in reading about Joann's.
    But I am a big fan of giving off postive feelings and you get them back, even when others around me are carping, I try to keep a happy outlook and usually get what I want. If not, I move on, don't waste any energy on negative things.

Dee
    I think one posts and in sincerety and just expressing their opinion. But I go by, catching more bees with honey. I feel there are some that make a mountain out of a mole hill. Ready to jump on anything that is not their way of thinking. I'm happy your positive, but remember to be yourself and America is freedom of speech, last time I heard.

I shopped at JoAnn's in Missoula, Mt today and boy were they busy! But, they are so friendly, and the cutters cut slowly and are careful and even tho I hate waiting in line for fabric cutting or to check out, the experience is not bad at all here. I have never really had a bad JoAnn's experience, at least if I have I can't remember. I have found that if I am friendly, so are they.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast