Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Pledge to be Positive

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I agree that sometimes topics on this board do seem to out of control and generally those are the negative ones. I don't know why. I'm glad to see someone who wants to maintain a postivie attitude..its refreshing.
    For me sometimes the negative threads just plain get tiresome if they go on too long. For instance the one on copyright. It just got to be such a drag. We have so many more interestiing things to discuss. I think venting has it's place here, just like anything else. But let's just vent and get it over with. A lot of time and energy can be wasted by keeping it going forever.
    The only way to stop it though, is to stop going back and reading it each day. If everyone who was sick of it would do that it would soon peter out. Just my two cents worth. 8-) ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I agree that sometimes topics on this board do seem to out of control and generally those are the negative ones. I don't know why. I'm glad to see someone who wants to maintain a postivie attitude..its refreshing.
    For me sometimes the negative threads just plain get tiresome if they go on too long. For instance the one on copyright. It just got to be such a drag. We have so many more interestiing things to discuss. I think venting has it's place here, just like anything else. But let's just vent and get it over with. A lot of time and energy can be wasted by keeping it going forever.
    The only way to stop it though, is to stop going back and reading it each day. If everyone who was sick of it would do that it would soon peter out. Just my two cents worth. 8-) ;)
    I so agree. It's really amazing how some of them can go on for pages and pages. People love to complain though, and that's why they get so much attention. I'm just trying to be more positive in all areas of my life, and so I'm going to avoid posting and reading them. We've become so polarized. One person can only do so much, but a movement starts with one person at a time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it is about America, and I think if you want to blow steam, then this is a great place to do it, we all saport each other here, and like someone said, if you don't like the subject, then don't read it, there are always going to be someone that may get offended and I am sorry for them, but coplaining about something that happened to you is what we are here for. and I don't find it negative to vent, actuley it is quit healthy to do. I don't think anyone should be offended by what is said unless it is directed towards, the fabric someone can and can't afford. things like that, because then those of us that don't have money to buy that wonderful fabric we all want, do get hurt. I have had good and bad at Joann's when I was working. I would still shop there, but when we have a bad day, it is ok to vent, because when you hold things in, it causes health problems. I had a bad week end. I had a mini stroke on Sunday our Saturday night. am I wrong to vent. No. so I am so sorry if anyone got offened with your subject, I just don;t understand why they would. You keep venting, because that is what friends are for. and I love the positive, I try really hard to have it in my life everyday, but please don't clam up to all of us, we are here for good or bad. God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    I had a bad week end. I had a mini stroke on Sunday our Saturday night. am I wrong to vent.
    Dear Penny, I hope you're doing all right and feeling better. Telling us about your stroke is not the same as venting. I know I care about your well-being, and I'm certain others do too.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, and anyone can write anything they please. I, personally, am just trying to complain less about minor annoyances. Giving information about things to watch out for is one thing. Complaining because someone looked cross-eyed at you is another. The latter isn't that helpful, and when everyone jumps on the bandwagon about it, it just gets tiresome. I will just go on to the next thing; but I would hope we would all try to avoid harping on minor annoyances and focus on the positives of our day. Tearing other people down, even if they're strangers, serves no one. And again, I can only speak for myself. Others can do whatever they want.

Again, Penny, I hope you're feeling better and that this doesn't happen to you again.

Penny, I hope you are okay, with no lasting damage. Let us know how you are doing. Telling us is not venting, it's sharing.

Penny, of course letting your community know about your health struggles is not 'venting.' It allows us all to pray for you!

I LOVE to vent, but I try never to press 'send' afterwards!

I think that part of the problem with venting on a public forum is that a posting doesn't convey the tone of a person's message. Someone might intend to be slightly snarky or sarcastic, but it comes across to another person as terribly negative. I have learned this the hard way, through being misconstrued and attacked for something I didn't mean to convey. Now I always try to 'stick with the facts, ma'am!'

Thanks for the reminder about staying positive, always the best place to be, especially in 'public'!

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I appreciate the commitment to being positive. And, will strive for that as well. However, one of the things that I appreciate about this site is that through "venting" I have learned a lot about things to pay attention to when buying fabrics, etc. Watching how store employees cut, using products like Retayne, etc. So, please don't stop venting...let's just keep it constructive. Thank you all for all you teach me - venting or not.

Bev
    [quote/] I think that part of the problem with venting on a public forum is that a posting doesn't convey the tone of a person's message. Someone might intend to be slightly snarky or sarcastic, but it comes across to another person as terribly negative. I have learned this the hard way, through being misconstrued and attacked for something I didn't mean to convey. Now I always try to 'stick with the facts, ma'am!' [quote/]

I sure do agree with this statement. Happens to me sometimes too. I grew up in a family that enjoys sarcasm, and wry humor. But it doesn't come across well in email messages.

8-)

Blog Entries
    I pledge to be more positive in all my statements and interactions with members of this board. I try hard not to come across negative, but sometimes I just cannot restrain my natural tendency to point out stuff.....sorry!!! I enjoy sarcasm and dry humor...I will try to refrain from using it here. On the other hand, everyone needs to try not to be too thin skinned and/or taking ourselves too seriously. Life is short...so be happy! Be a duck....let it roll off your back!! :-)

I like you all a lot, and would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. That is not, nor has it ever been, my way or my heart. I have too much to be grateful for from my Lord & creator, and I am too blessed to be stressed!

I work in a doctors office and the folks I work with have the most negative attitudes. No matter how slow it is they will complain, when someone says to me, Gee you must be busy, I usually reply with, No, but there is an obligation to complain.
    I find it really hard because I really try to put on a happy face for these folks, for some of them I may be the only person who takes the time to talk to them, they are sick, many are lonely and I really think that our office should be a sort of haven for them where they can share their worries.
    When people thank me for being nice I just tell them that it is just how I am, and that I hope that when I call my doctors office there will be someone like me at the other end.

I've had some very hard lessons about being negative in my life, and I have often created a negative message and then backspaced over it. Life's too short.

I also have become more selective about which threads I stop and read, everyone here has so much to offer that I'd forget to actually go into my work room if I wasn't being as attentive to my time. Notice this response is a week from the original - I'm trying to limit myself to one day for getting caught up each week.

Amen...you said it in a nutshell!!!! Sometimes you can be typing like you are having a conversation and all of a sudden someone gets offended by the way you said something, or reads more into it than was meant. My philosophy is 'Keep mouth shut, Keep job long time"!!! LOL.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Amen...you said it in a nutshell!!!! Sometimes you can be typing like you are having a conversation and all of a sudden someone gets offended by the way you said something, or reads more into it than was meant. My philosophy is 'Keep mouth shut, Keep job long time"!!! LOL.
    My DH always says "never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut!"

:lol:

Yep!!! Got that right.!!! LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The stroke was a mini stroke, thank the good lord. my right side is still numb, but I got the sewing machine needle threaded, it took a little time as I am right handed, but by gosh I got it done. when I get tiered it shows more, like trying to say the right word, or finger placement on the key board, or like the other day a kind member sent me a gift card for batting which I am in desprate need of, I went to Joann,s and got some batting and 1yrd of pretty fabric for flower centers, and by the time I got home, I could not get up the step to get in the door, my arm is all brused up from trying. my son happened home about 10 minutes latter and helped me in the house. I am human and I do get frustrated. I am 47 yrs old, and I have pain every minute of everyday, and with everything else I want to ask why me, I know the lord has his reasons, I loved my job, I loved to help people, I was independent, and now I am a shell of a person. and at times I want to say no more, but all of you are just wonderful, and you make me fell human, and you make me feel like you really care, this board and all of you, help me get through really rough times. I just asked for help with batting and a few have already sent me some. and when I get fabric or books or thread.ect... It makes me cry, because I would not be able to do it without all you. God bless. Penny

dear penny i am sooo sorry for your struggles and trials. i will pray for you. if i can do anything i will. my father had many mini strokes from a closed head injury he suffered from a plane crash. he had many obstacles to overcome but he was determined. i 'm gonna try to send you some great vibes and hope they reach thru to you. bless you penny!

Penny I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4