Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pledge to be Positive >

Pledge to be Positive

Pledge to be Positive

Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM

If you listen anywhere people are talking together, you'll easily be able to find one or many that are complaining or being negative.. I think its as simple as this.. to speak about how bad, how poor, how mistreated, how unfair or how someone did this or that is the easiest thing to do.. It's much harder to find those things that are good and right and pure and beautiful, those who do right or are honorable and honest.. you actually have to think about them, they don't just roll out like complaining does. It's so easy to complain... Like all people everywhere we usually opt for the easy way.. so sometimes I think we are complaining just to hear ourselves talk or to be a part of the conversation.. or perhaps any thought that comes into our head dribbles out our mouths (or out through our fingers in this case!). Just listen to people around you.. most people can relate to the negative because it's easiest.

Good for you Catrancher.. It's harder to be positive, but well worth the effort. That was a very transparent and personal part of your life you shared with us.. I see why you feel the way you do. I too try to be positive, for me it is what I need to do, however, once in awhile I find myself slipping into negativity... and have to remind myself to step up to where I want to be.. Thanks for the reminder.

I also think that many people and businesses are still where they are because good people said nothing. I don't think we should be quiet about wrongs done.

I'm just very grateful that I live in a country that we have the freedom to say what we want, postive or negative!! Not everyone can!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 PM

I spent several HOURS one evening, going through the 500+ pages, ( I only saw about 30+ pages that night) of pictures that have been posted here. I just want to say that when things get too 'real' in my world, it is a blessing to be able to just relax and enjoy the predominately positive things that are said to each other on this board. To quote reader's digest, I try to spend a few minutes each day 'committing random acts of kindness'. It is harder to get caught in a negative head space, if you are on the look out for today's random act. I enjoy reading all the opinions here. I hope nothing I ever say on here offends anyone, but if it does, please PM me to point it out so I can say how sorry I am. I would never hurt someone on purpose. I don't think anyone here does it intentionally. (I hope!) :thumbup:
Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 PM

There are negative people and positive people and I think it will always be that way. If I remember correctly the post was about not being able to use your coupon because of the items on sale. I don't think that was negative, it was a fact. Now what resulted may have been a feeding frenzy of negativity. But I thought that was a good thing to know about the coupon. I like the people at JoAnns, I don't care for their fabric. I don't think that is negative, I think it is my opinion. I have learned that if I have a problem, that you can usually work it out with a civil attitude. And I think if you don't try to work it out, you don't have the right to complain. When I was working in vacation rentals, I appreciated that if some one had a problem, they told us so we could take care of it. However, I have found that some people would rather complain than fix it.

I also like to hear good and bad about tools. When I buy something I always look at the comments before I commit. One negative remark among a lot of positive remarks will not sway me, I just figure they were one of the negative people.

Sorry to ramble on so much.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM

=noveltyjunkie]I am not American so I read with interest when you speak about how you see yourselves, and want us foreigners to see you! I can say that there is only one post I have read here that has really stopped me in my tracks, and that was one about US military on active service posting a video of themselves on YouTube destroying a defective printer with a gun which presumably had been issued to them for their duties. A few people chipped in to applaud them and that sickened me. However, I am intelligent enough to realize that these posters are not speaking on behalf of their country, and I am also intelligent enough to note that many people did not express any support for their actions. I don't think anyone could reasonably make any judgement about your country based on carping about money off coupons. It's just not that significant. So, if you want to change your outlook, that's great, but why not do it just because it fits with your own values? Why does America even come into it? I have moved around the world a lot and I don't find nationality to be that interesting. There is good and bad everywhere If I meet a person with a certain characteristic I certainly don't assume it is typical of all their countrywomen. There is so much more to people, isn't there?[/quote]

I think being American comes into it because we're constantly being told by the media how much other countries hate us. Therefore, we feel we have no right to complain about the minor pitfalls of life because it reflects on us collectively as a nation. We all get lumped into a singular group that just doesn't fit! Like any other nation, we have wonderful people and not-so-wonderful people. I personally feel that Americans are the most giving, generous people on earth. We are often portrayed as rich, spoiled brats which, for the most part, is simply not true. As far as I'm concerned, YouTube is a place that many go to get their 10" of fame--they hope to get noticed for some rather weird stunts, and they don't seem to know when enough is enough. And you're right--intelligent people don't base prejudice about a country on one person they meet or read about.
I've changed my outlook on life alot (major illnesses seem to have that effect on people) and often ask myself if the annoyance will matter in a day, a week, a year. If the answer is no--and it usually is--let it go.
I try not to criticize a whole chain for one bad employee either. But if I get exceptional service, I try to reward it too, either by phone, email or letter to the store or corporate office. And I have to say that I had an exceptional JoAnn staff person today. I did price matches and she even pointed out a coupon from a competitor that I could use, besides the JoAnn coupons I had already used! Since I had not seen it, it would have been just as easy for her not to say a word. Plus it was near closing time on a holiday at a Supercenter. It was quite obvious they had been very busy today.
I agree that we can sometimes be more positive but I have vented on this board too. One day I put my blocks together wrong--every one of them (but at least I'm consistant!) :) and while it was negative in a frustrated sort of way, I at least got assurance that I wasn't the first, nor would I be the last person to do so--so buck up and get on with it! I also got some VERY creative names for seam rippers! I laughed and laughed and then I started taking blocks apart. Tomorrow I will put them back together and all will be well.
People on this board are awesome and I learn something new everyday. Therefore, when I get a chance to pay it forward, I get excited because I can finally give back in some small way for everyone and everything on this board. And if there is a negative topic and I don't care to read it, there are plenty of others in which to take part. So thanks everyone, you are great!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM

ok girls-go to this link and when a black page comes up, click anywhere on the page, OR hold down your mouse and move it all over!!! This will bring smiles to your faces no matter how your day of quilting is going!!!
http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf
Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by garysgal
ok girls-go to this link and when a black page comes up, click anywhere on the page, OR hold down your mouse and move it all over!!! This will bring smiles to your faces no matter how your day of quilting is going!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by garysgal
That is very cute, and if that didn't work-- Molly (Mini poodle) is curled on my lap in a blankie. She thinks she is cold. All is right in the world as she cuddles.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM

I like it. What fun.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
That is so funny!I thought you Irish were a happy lot,good cheer and all that.
Not since the collapse of the Celtic Tiger, at any rate. Though I would've previously said "melancholy" was a more normal attribute than the downright negativity that seems prevalent these days.

Originally Posted by stefanib123
If we went to sites that the majority were another country, I'm sure you'd find complaints about someplace there.
It's true. On my other favourite internet hangout, boards.ie, you can find MANY forums full of negativity and complaints! Rip-Off Ireland, Consumer Issues, and Ranting and Raving are dedicated to them, and of course the wilds that are known as After Hours often descends into bashing of something or other!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Good Morning,
In my little world I have noticed that something good has always come after something bad. So my goal is to keep looking for the good.

About two years ago my husband and I decided to make it a point to tell people what they did to please us. It shocks people when you say, you want to speak to their boss about something, something GOOD !

Don't get me wrong.
I work hard on not complaining. It can be so easy to do.

Staying positive is hard sometimes but telling the world the bad stuff sometimes makes things worse.
Happy Thoughts,I am babbling, the first cup of coffee is coming.
Christina (chrissy)