View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
doxieloverred

I have to say too, that I think rudeness sometimes comes about as a result of these stores being understaffed. It is frustrating when you're not able to find someone to cut fabric or feel your time is being wasted by having to wait for someone to come from another department or leave their lunch or break to cut fabric. So I try really, really hard not to criticize when I have to wait as it is not the employee's fault but rather management/corporate's. And I remember well what it's like to have to skip breaks or lunch to take care of a patient so I sympathize with them. Plus, they apologize for making me wait, when I know darn well that this guy cutting my fabric at 8 pm was waiting on someone else in sporting goods.
A friend of mine put it in perspective when she told me about her sil coming over from Czechoslovakia. The friend had complained about waiting in a checkout line and her sil told her she often stood in line ALL DAY to receive a loaf of bread back home (and was grateful for whatever she could get). I will never forget that story and try to "chill" when waiting. I usually find someone who's willing to chat and kids are so fun to talk to anyway. :) Kids can put a smile on my face in a heartbeat!

Originally Posted by JackieG
It's nice to read all of the comments in response to your/our commitment to be positive. I just finished reading a thread where people were bashing the employees at Hancock's, JoAnn's, Wal-Mart, etc. Some of the comments were extremely rude and obnoxious, especially the two who wrote that the retail clerks are all paid minimum wage and know nothing about sewing.
So...my reaction is not to respond to such comments, although I have an inclination to remind those two how difficult it is to (1) find a job these days, minimum wage or not; and (2) having knowledge of sewing is not a prerequisite for being able to cut fabric.
Let's all be courteous and friendly, and if we need an extra 2 inches, don't expect that it will be given to you--ask for it. Besides, you never know--if you are pleasant to the person behind the cutting counter or register, you might just get a few extra inches. How you treat service personnel is a reflection of you.