Thread: Batting
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 AM
SharonAnne

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by SharonAnne
Originally Posted by jljack
I only use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, which is all cotton and needled. You can quilt it up to 10" apart, and it shrinks with the fabric giving a nice look. I don't use polyester at all...some people use it, and that is their choice.
I'm new at this. Can you please explain what is meant by "needled" batting? Thanks. Sharon
I think she meant needlepunched.

Warm n Natural batting is needlepunched through scrim. The scrim makes the batting extremely stable so it can be quilted up to 10 inches apart without falling apart in the wash. Scrim makes it harder to hand needle (hand quilt), although many people still do it. The needlepunching through scrim also makes the batting heavier, with a slightly stiffer drape.

Quilter's Dream cotton batting, in contrast, is needlepunched but not through a scrim. Needlepunching makes the batting very even and adds stability.

Old-fashioned cotton battings such as Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon are not needlepunched. They need to be quilted closer together to keep the batting stable. Quilting lines should be no more than about 2 inches apart.
My thanks to you, too, Prism99. Your explanation was very good, but I had to go look up scrim (and bearding from Sadiemae). But that's a "good" thing, and the old noodle now "gets it". Eureka!! Once I looked up scrim I find I have not been checking to see if I am placing the closer scrim side to the back of the quilt. Good thing I have only done 1. With my luck, though, it has the scrim closer to the top. Live and learn, huh? And I don't suppose it much matters on wall hangings which is the majority of my work so far. I'll just be careful going forward. Thanks again.