Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting

Which is the best, and do you prefer 100% cotton, which battings should i never buy

I only use polyester batting, doesn't shrink, I've made lots of quilts using it and I like everything about it.

Blog Entries
    I like Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting (80% cotton 20% Polyester. I order it online from Connecting Threads.
    http://www.ConnectingThreads.com

Blog Entries
    I haven't quilted enough to recommend anything, but I will be watching (and learning) with you! And, the baby is adorable!!!

I use the same batting and get it from Connecting Threads. They have a great sale now and then and when you order $50 it is free shipping. I have been using the Thermore for hand quilting. It is really thin almost like not having any batting at all...but sure easy to hand quilt. I heard their wool batting is great for hand quilting. But if machine quilting the 80/20 percent polyester is the best!

Blog Entries
    you should buy every batting you come across and try them all! i cut a little 6" square from my battings and document the name of it, any characteristics, its laundering instructions, price, where it came from...i have about 60 swatches now.after i use it i also add anything about that...if i hated it, if i loved it...whatever...that way i can check if i'm seeing one on sale and i don't remember if i've used it i can check my little book, and if i hated it i can see that too...and i will tell you, batting is as personal a choice as anything else...there is one batting on the market that i have heard lots of quilters rave about and me? I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!! so, i would not tell you which one you should get. i will tell you this, you should always purchase the best quality you can afford. The warm company has very good products as does the dream batting. my absolute fave's are..warm & natural; dream poly; dream wool; dream cotton; dream bamboo; hobbs supreme heirloom. i'm not going to say the ones i hate...some people love them...and some probably hate some of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    I only use polyester batting, doesn't shrink, I've made lots of quilts using it and I like everything about it.
    Me too. I only make quilts for my family to use and the quilts are washed a lot. Poly washes easily and costs less too.

Blog Entries
    I only use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, which is all cotton and needled. You can quilt it up to 10" apart, and it shrinks with the fabric giving a nice look. I don't use polyester at all...some people use it, and that is their choice.

I do like the all cotton...I don't like the puffiness of polyester. Like my quilts more flat! Especially when I lean towards more primitive quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I only use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, which is all cotton and needled. You can quilt it up to 10" apart, and it shrinks with the fabric giving a nice look. I don't use polyester at all...some people use it, and that is their choice.
    Same goes for me. I like the feel of W&N but am planning to try some variety from the Hobbs line when I run out of my batting stash.

I like warm and natural and hobbs 80/20.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I like Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting (80% cotton 20% Polyester. I order it online from Connecting Threads.
    http://www.ConnectingThreads.com
    Ditto!

To me, it depends on whether you are going to hand quilt or machine.

For hand, wool is the best.
    For machine, depends on what I'm quilting. Warm and Natural is good, but I don't have a problem with polyester either. Depends on the look you want. I use low loft poly for table runners, etc.

As a hand quilter, I like Quilters Dream cotton batting. I've used this exclusively for some years now, and have never been disappointed with the results. It is a thinner batting, but they make others with more loft, if that's what you're after. Check it out!

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/

I'm new at this. Can you please explain what is meant by "needled" batting? Thanks. Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    I'm new at this. Can you please explain what is meant by "needled" batting? Thanks. Sharon
    Needled batting means the batting has been smashed with hundreds of needles. It causes the fibers to bond together, except for the outer fibers. They tend to be denser and can beard because of the outer fibers. They are also usually a littler loft than a bonded batt.

I think the use of different battings is always a matter of personal preferences. I love to try new brands and see how I like it and how it fits to everything that is important for me: easy to needle for hand quilting, a nice drape, soft touch, a little bit ot antique look after first wash etc.

Blog Entries
    I think she meant needlepunched.

Warm n Natural batting is needlepunched through scrim. The scrim makes the batting extremely stable so it can be quilted up to 10 inches apart without falling apart in the wash. Scrim makes it harder to hand needle (hand quilt), although many people still do it. The needlepunching through scrim also makes the batting heavier, with a slightly stiffer drape.

Quilter's Dream cotton batting, in contrast, is needlepunched but not through a scrim. Needlepunching makes the batting very even and adds stability.

Old-fashioned cotton battings such as Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon are not needlepunched. They need to be quilted closer together to keep the batting stable. Quilting lines should be no more than about 2 inches apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Old-fashioned cotton battings such as Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon are not needlepunched. They need to be quilted closer together to keep the batting stable. Quilting lines should be no more than about 2 inches apart.
    Have you ever used it? I always quilt more than 2 inches apart so it would be interesting to know how it is to for hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    I use warm and natural but it is NOT 100% cotton. When my supply is gone I'm going to buy *real* cotton batting,

A friend of mine uses Dream batting and she loves it for hand quilting. I have an applique quilt to hand quilt and have the Dream batting to try with it. It feels like it will be great!

I am a new quilter here and been trying a few of different batting, I noticed (so did my hubby) that for bed quilts, we like Dream Cotton the best, the medium loft I think. For wall-hanging, placemats and such ,I really like Warm and Natural because it has the scrim and tends to be a little "stiffer." I haven't tried polyester or bamboo, and I am about to try the fusible batting. We'll see.

I like that too, but I get the100 percent cotton. I lioke the way it shrinks . It gives your quilts an antique look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Needled batting means the batting has been smashed with hundreds of needles. It causes the fibers to bond together, except for the outer fibers. They tend to be denser and can beard because of the outer fibers. They are also usually a littler loft than a bonded batt.
    Much appreciation for your response, Sadiemae. It was very helpful.

I use Quilters Dream Blend (70/30) batting. They say it is especially made for machine quilting and you can quilt up to 12" apart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast