View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Another member, who talked about starching her Dad's railroad hats, and I have been PMing some things like this and I thought it might make a great topic to post here!
I'll call this first one - Oh, how I wish the family had kept it.

We had a rack over the wood and coal stove that lowered to hang laundry on it to dry in bad weather. Lovely to warm you jammies for after your weekly bath!

I used to help my Nana do her laundry. Boiled the whites on top of her wood and coal stove and then carted it all downstairs to her WOODEN washing machine! It was about 3 ft across and made like a barrel with a corduroy like finish on the inside. You filled it with a hose and added buckets of hot water. The heavy lid had a mechanical ratchet thing on top that operated a wooden circle with 4 dowels sticking down on the bottom! Like a cow's udder! You moved the ratchet handle back and forth and that made the 'udder' swish the clothes! That was heavy work! and of course we'd then feed it all through the (oh darn, the name just went out of my mind) roller stand. Spundle?? Is that it?
Kitsie how about a wringer, like on the old wringer washing machines.