I remember when....

Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM

I hate this self service world. I refuse to use those self service registers at the stores. I say very loudly "I won't use those on principle.
------------------------------------------
I also will NOT use those things, and not because I can't.
I was asked once in a store like that what I would do if this store had no clerks at all. I just smiled and told them I would go somewhere else. There would always be some Mom and Pop store that would profit from such a world.
As it is it's hard enough to find a clerk (sales rep or whatever fancy name they call them now) and it seems there are fewer and fewer every year. I have a very low tolerance for searching for what I want, and after so long I simply give up and leave.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 PM

We paid 12 cents to get in to the movies, adults paid 25. We usually only got to go on Sats. Parents in the neighborhood would take turns taking everyone. When the cost went to 25 cents for children everyone thought the world had come to an end. We could take a quarter when it was only 12 and get popcorn and a coke also. We had summer matinees and could get a coupon book to use for that. I don't remember the cost, but we went every Sat. and sometimes through the week. I remember one summer, Tex Ritter and his whte horse were there on the stage in front of the screen. What a treat, he sang for us and we all got his autograph. For those who may not remember, he was John Ritter's dad. Next to the Churches, the Theater was like a community center for the town until one was built in later years. Isn't it strange what one remembers when others start telling of their own childhood memories. From all of the posts, it seems like a large part of us are near the same age and grew up during the 40's and 50's. I wouldn't trade my childhood and the freedom to play without worries and love we had for anything.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Thank you ladies for all the posts. I remember some, but since I grew up in the late 50's and 60's, I don't remember some. I remember the wringer washers because I got my arm caught up in it to my elbow. And we played outside til dark during the summer.