I remember when....

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 PM

We would visit my aunt and uncle in the summers. They had an outhouse which was a novelty to my sister and me althouh my cousin thought we were nuts. On Fridays a large number of relatives would meet at my aunts house and we would all go to a fish fry in a town a distance away. When we arrived back at their farm, my aunt would holler "girls get the outhouse, boys go behind the house" what a memory!!
My Mom had an ironing machine that I thought was called a mangle.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM

I remember walking from my grandmothers house (no indoor plumbing there either) to my great aunt's house when I was no more than 5. It was about 2 miles, unless we cut through the pasture when the bull was elsewhere. Aunt Willie had pups, pigs, cows, worms, fish, horses, flowers and vegetables. She would spend all day "playing" with us, you know milking, feeding, cutting, shelling, peeling. All the things we would never get caught doing at home.

We had a wringer washer till 1969. I wish I had a nickle for every button I popped off my dad's shirts. But they sure did get clothes clean.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
We would visit my aunt and uncle in the summers. They had an outhouse which was a novelty to my sister and me although my cousin thought we were nuts. On Fridays a large number of relatives would meet at my aunts house and we would all go to a fish fry in a town a distance away. When we arrived back at their farm, my aunt would holler "girls get the outhouse, boys go behind the house" what a memory!!
My Mom had an ironing machine that I thought was called a mangle.
:arrow: mangle as it is called in the UK- wringer as it is called in the US. My mom had a mangle iron also.
I remember the games, kick the can, red rover, anti I over, and the after dark games.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I remember red rover, red rover, someone come on over. Then they tried to get through the line and you held hands and wouldn't let them through. If they couldn't get through, they had to stay in your line, if they got through, they picked someone to go back with them to the other line.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
Wringers. my grandmother had an old wringer washer.
My Mom had a wringer washer until 1958. Then we got an automatic washer. My Mom was so proud of it.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Patrice ... you sound a little sad over what the world has lost. Me too, when I think we as little kids could go down to the playground and onto the beach by ourselves for hours. ...
not sad so much as nostalgic.

i wonder what our children will miss when they hit our age and look back. and i laugh at the prospect. "daddy, what was a dvd?" :lol:
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Another member, who talked about starching her Dad's railroad hats, and I have been PMing some things like this and I thought it might make a great topic to post here!
I'll call this first one - Oh, how I wish the family had kept it.

We had a rack over the wood and coal stove that lowered to hang laundry on it to dry in bad weather. Lovely to warm you jammies for after your weekly bath!

I used to help my Nana do her laundry. Boiled the whites on top of her wood and coal stove and then carted it all downstairs to her WOODEN washing machine! It was about 3 ft across and made like a barrel with a corduroy like finish on the inside. You filled it with a hose and added buckets of hot water. The heavy lid had a mechanical ratchet thing on top that operated a wooden circle with 4 dowels sticking down on the bottom! Like a cow's udder! You moved the ratchet handle back and forth and that made the 'udder' swish the clothes! That was heavy work! and of course we'd then feed it all through the (oh darn, the name just went out of my mind) roller stand. Spundle?? Is that it?
Do any of these look like what you remember?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113991.jpe   attachment-113992.jpe   attachment-113993.jpe  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 AM

I remember on Halloween we would go all over town and fill a pillow case with goodies and never had to have it checked we would have enough candy to keep us till Easter.
Remember when you got to play hide n seek at night. If we didn’t have to go to school then all the kids in the neighborhood would play and roomed all over and our neighbors didn’t call the cops. Everyone knew everyone and were friendly. Now you just don’t know who to trust. We never locked anything. Went to bed and sometimes we kids would sleep out side on the lawn. Those were the good old days.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:51 AM

I remember on Halloween we would go all over town and fill a pillow case with goodies and never had to have it checked we would have enough candy to keep us till Easter.
Remember when you got to play hide n seek at night. If we didn’t have to go to school then all the kids in the neighborhood would play and roomed all over and our neighbors didn’t call the cops. Everyone knew everyone and were friendly. Now you just don’t know who to trust. We never locked anything. Went to bed and sometimes we kids would sleep out side on the lawn. Those were the good old days.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 AM

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST

Down memory lane…. Remember Saturdays at the show. Double features and cartoons and news reels WOW all for a dime. Mom gave us a quarter and we got in the show 1 popcorn 1 soda and 1 candy and we could stay all day and see the show over again. .Quarter wont get you much now days