I remember when....

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
did you ever have to eat tripe!!!??? Now that's gross!
NO! And no chittlins either. There were a few things that mom drew the line on. However, I happen to love Mountain Oysters.
Mom loved cow tongue but I never tasted it. It didn't matter how many times she changed the boiling water on it, let that water sit for 5 minutes and you could skim slobbers off. Nope, I'm not eating it.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM

I love cow tongues, but even better are lamb's tongues! British heritage I guess!

I'm sure enjoying these posts!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I looked up wringer washers in Wikipedia and the wringer was also called a mangle. The history of washing machines was fascinating.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Administrator

i'll tell you what i can't remember ...

between kathy being eaten by the washer, pebble butts, boulder butts, boiling slobbers and what all else ... i can't remember when i laughed so hard. :XD:

ok. can't laugh about the boulder butt. i have one of my own! wish i could forget that one. :shock:
Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'll tell you what i can't remember ...

between kathy being eaten by the washer, pebble butts, boulder butts, boiling slobbers and what all else ... i can't remember when i laughed so hard. :XD:

ok. can't laugh about the boulder butt. i have one of my own! wish i could forget that one. :shock:
You guys crack me up. I was laughing so hard I almost fell out of the chair. :XD:
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

before we've totally hijacked poor kitsie's topic ...

i remember when we'd pick the peaches off the trees in our back yard. my mom and i would make jams and jellies.

i remember when there were lots of wooded areas and fields to play in. the wild blackberries were huge, sweet and ever so tasty. i can still smell the honeysuckle and the moss in the woods.

i remember swimmin' holes, creeks and tire swings over water you could see through clear to the bottom.

i remember thinking bugs were interesting and could watch a worm with fascination.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

I remember when it was daylight at 5am! I don't like daylight savings time. I remember my Dad buying 3 BUSHELS of dead ripe peaches and having a marathon canning/jamming session. Mom picked out the good unbruised peaches and canned them and I got stuck with the bruised overripe ones to make jam. Batch after batch. We put our jam in quart jars. Does that tell you how fast we went through jam? I remember playing Tarzan in the hayloft, swinging from one side of the barn to the other, kicking off each side to keep up the momentum. Ah, yes, Grandma's blackberry and raspberry patches. There were times she didn't get very many to preserve. I also remember when Dad planted over 3 acres of sweet corn. Of course that was the year when the weather cooperated and had a bumper crop. After canning, freezing, eating fresh and giving it away, we ended up feeding a lot to the cows.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
I looked up wringer washers in Wikipedia and the wringer was also called a mangle. The history of washing machines was fascinating.
THAT'S THE WORD!!!!! and boy, could it ever! Did they show anything about wooden ones? How I wish that one had been donated to Victoria, BC's modern history museum instead of destroyed.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
before we've totally hijacked poor kitsie's topic ...

i remember when we'd pick the peaches off the trees in our back yard. my mom and i would make jams and jellies.

i remember when there were lots of wooded areas and fields to play in. the wild blackberries were huge, sweet and ever so tasty. i can still smell the honeysuckle and the moss in the woods.

i remember swimmin' holes, creeks and tire swings over water you could see through clear to the bottom.

i remember thinking bugs were interesting and could watch a worm with fascination.
Please, Patrice, you all are not hijacking anything! This is exactly what I had in mind when I posted it! I suddenly feel not quite old yet! But you sound a little sad over what the world has lost. Me too, when I think we as little kids could go down to the playground and onto the beach by ourselves for hours. Pieces of twig were cars, trains, anything you wanted them to be in a dirt area under the mint bush *sigh*. But now we have different foods from all over the world, dishwashers, very little small pox and stuff.

Her we still have a bend in the river to swim in but now the county charges a few dollars to use it and the freeway runs right over top. 'Course my grandkids think that's cool!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM

We had a Maytag wringer washer when I was a kid, I helped mother all summer and on Sat. if she didn't get through washing through the week. I got my thumb caught in the wringer once and man did that ever hurt. Mother would use three tubs for rinseing the clothes and one usually had blueing in it. I remember washing my hair every Sat. and would rinse it with vinegar. I had really long hair and used the old metal long curlers similar to old perm rods, with rubber tips. I still have mine and my daughter thinks they are cool. She is a consmotologist. She never had to sleep on them every Sat. night. We bathed every day in a big tub in the kitchen before we had a shower put in. I used the out door privy when I visited an Aunt and Uncle, until I was about in the 8th grade, before they got indoor plumbing. We usually visted them in the summer, so I didn't have a problem with the cold. I really hated to go at night too, they lived on a ranch and there were no houses around but a lot of wooded area. I wasn't afraid of anything but snakes. I always worried that one might be in the outhouse. They also had oil lamps that hung from the ceiling for their lighting, and oil lamps in every room.We lived in town so always had electricity.
We would play all day in the neighborhood only went home to eat and when it got dark. We never had a problem, girls and boys played together, baseball, cowboys & indians, army, you name it we had a ball. Now I would be afraid to let little ones out without a parent unless they were in a well guarded fenced yard with a very good watch dog, in some places. I live in a small town now, and kids do get to have fun playing in the neighborhood, but they mostly stay in and watch tv. or play video games. They have no idea what they are missing. My how times have changed in the last 50 - 60 years. How nice to go back down memory lane.