View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

I don't think I've quilted anything this year. Haven't really had the time or the motivation. Now I'm motivated and its not like a month before I have to get the quilt done.

I had an idea a while back to do a quilt for myself made out of Kittie (the all-female Canadian heavy metal band) shirts. The idea came back to me when I was listening to their music in the car while reading the quilting catalog I got in the mail. Only I don't want to do the quilt for myself. I've been dating this guy for almost four months now and I hope it works out 'cause I really like him. So I want to get him something for Christmas, but every idea I had for a gift I wasn't 100% sure on. It was always "I think its nice, but will he think so too?" or "What if he has this?" or it just wasn't special enough. When I remembered the Kittie quilt I was like "That's the perfect gift! Its both our favorite band, we met on the Kittie forums, and I doubt he already has one lying around".

Besides trying to find t-shirts (many of the shirts I'm trying to find are out of print), I'm not really sure how to go about making this. Jersey knit is a lot strechier than your typical quilting cotton. Should I use interface? Should I quilt with a larger seam? What are some other things I should know before tackling a quilt made out of t-shirts?