Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
galvestonangel

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I'm just guessing here but it seems that someone overseas could order lots of fabric from say Hancock's of Paducah as a customer sell it for $2 over the cost per yard over what it cost them and sell it out of their home and make a profit. Travel to guilds/groups in the area and sell it to sewers.
One problem is that the larger the order, the more likely you'll be caught for customs and VAT. Smaller orders have a better chance of slipping through unnoticed.

Long ago a friend of a friend used to sell fabric her husband would bring her back from business trips to the US. She charged just over her cost, but you had to be a friend and have the same taste in fabrics as herself!

Fabric.com does ship internationally, as do many of the other online sites like Fabric Depot, Hancocks of Paducah, Keepsake Quilting, Erica's (those are just some I've used over the years). Global Priority envelopes used to slide through most frequently and I sometimes had an order in less than a week! Those were the good days before money was such an issue, LOL.

Now I mainly do mini's, table runners, wallhangings or lap quilts (which are quilted on to a fleece blanket instead of batting and backing, which saves a LOT of money!)
If I came over with fabric for my friends, would that be taxable? If I am bringing it for myself, is that taxable?

We have not decided which country we will be flying into, but do all countries (England, Ireland, France) tax things I, a US citizen, would bring in for my personal use or for gifts for my quilter friends. Is there an amount you can bring in without being taxed. In the US you can bring back $600 worth of merchandie without being taxed.

I am asking a lot of questions because I don't see how they can tax me on personal property I'm bringing in. This may be a quilting vacation for me.

This upsets me that a few yards are likely to be taxed.
You will go through customs when you arrive. You usually have the choice to go through the anything to declare or the nothing to declare channels. However, they do spot checks. I am not sure of the import rules but will do some research for you and pm you if that is ok?

Have a wonderful trip
Yes, PM me when you get the info. I am really looking forward to the trip although planning is part of the fun. Also, if possible, could you find out one more thing, please. Where were the US Army Air Corp stationed during WWII? Look forward to hearing from you.