Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking. >

The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM

Lucky you. In australia we pay close to $50 for 5 meals. :thumbdown:
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
Ladies overseas, let me take your side right now. American quilters are extremely lucky with fabric prices. When I visited my son in England 2 years ago, I was astounded at the price of fabric there and these ladies are right, they have no other choice. If they order from the states, the "Queen" adds on her taxes to the price so she can live in the luxury she is accustomed to. The first box I sent to my son for his first Christmas there cost me over $75.00 to ship and it was not a large box. If I send now, it is in small boxes with a cost below $25 so the Queen cannot put a tax on it. But mostly, my son buys when he visits America and puts it inbetween his clothes in his suitcase to go home. We went to a LQS near him when I was there and the owner and customers could not believe I , an American was buying fabric over there instead of here in the states. Comparable---a $10.00 per yard batik over here is about $22.00 (american money) over there.
I think your statements about the Queen are a little exaggerated and could be taken to be mean spirited. (edited to add that I would hate for it to mistakenly appear to be a post that would offend our wonderful British friends) btw, Did you just out your son for not paying the taxes required by the nation where he chooses to live? :oops:
Old 05-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Kaz

When I send my kids anything from here in the US back home to the UK I know the limit is" Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT", so if it comes to more than that I maybe open the package so it looks "used" and put a lower amount than it is 'worth' on the declaration, and always declare it as a gift.
I used to live in Yorkshire and I have to say that between the markets and the mills around Leeds, Bradford Keighley etc. I never paid anything like the prices in the LQS, but then again I didn't quilt, just sewed clothes or curtains etc. Yes the prices for quilting fabrics are cheaper here but I prefer knowing what I am going to pay upfront and not find when I get to the checkout that suddenly what I have added up in my head is so much less than what I am asked to pay after taxes have been added on. So your sales tax in some states almost equates to our VAT.

I had a friend who quilted and always bought her fabric from Boyes for less than what Joann's sells it for but I think that they are only in Yorkshire? Maybe not as much selection but she always showed great resourcefulness in her colour choices.

I had left my older Pfaff in the UK and when I went to purchase one here and I could not believe the price!! I actually ended up buying it in the UK and having it mailed over here at almost half the price (my only problem now is that the local dealer 250 miles away will not service it because I did not purchase it from her). Some things here are more expensive and some cheaper. So swings and roundabouts I guess. :)
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kaz
When I send my kids anything from here in the US back home to the UK I know the limit is" Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT", so if it comes to more than that I maybe open the package so it looks "used" and put a lower amount than it is 'worth' on the declaration, and always declare it as a gift.
I used to live in Yorkshire and I have to say that between the markets and the mills around Leeds, Bradford Keighley etc. I never paid anything like the prices in the LQS, but then again I didn't quilt, just sewed clothes or curtains etc. Yes the prices for quilting fabrics are cheaper here but I prefer knowing what I am going to pay upfront and not find when I get to the checkout that suddenly what I have added up in my head is so much less than what I am asked to pay after taxes have been added on. So your sales tax in some states almost equates to our VAT.

I had a friend who quilted and always bought her fabric from Boyes for less than what Joann's sells it for but I think that they are only in Yorkshire? Maybe not as much selection but she always showed great resourcefulness in her color choices.

I had left my older Pfaff in the UK and when I went to purchase one here and I could not believe the price!! I actually ended up buying it in the UK and having it mailed over here at almost half the price (my only problem now is that the local dealer 250 miles away will not service it because I did not purchase it from her). Some things here are more expensive and some cheaper. So swings and roundabouts I guess. :)
All dealers are supposed to service the machines they sell, even if you don't buy the machine from them directly. Get in touch with the company and complain. Maybe they can help you get it done.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 AM

I'd just like to add that a straight conversion is a little useless. Basically, everything in Australia is more expensive than America. But, our wages are also a lot higher to compensate. It's just the way the market is.

According to Wikipedia, U.S minimum wage averages about $5-7 per hour, whereas its $15-17 in Australia. That's a $10 which in my mind, completely compensates for the $5-10 difference in fabric prices.