Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking. >

The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM

Loopywren:As does my eldest daughter, and I am waiting to see if I have Kidney cancer. it certainly puts things into perspective. This board helps more than you can all realise. Thank you to all of you.[/quote]

My thoughts are with you and your sister. I'm a 2+ year BC survivor, and support groups were VERY helpful. This board is a support group! And there are probably other support groups near where you live. I hope you won't need either!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
We have to pay in insurance all our working lives but I do not know how it equates to what you pay. We could make this equation for many things, your car fuel is considerably cheaper than ours. but surely it doesn't matter what it all costs we have to pay it anyway, there must be good and bad things on both sides. it feels to me as if what started as a general discussion is getting a little unpleasant, I am very uncomfortable with the way this is going. I do not want to be part of this anymore.
I'm sorry to have brought this up - I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. Health insurance has been on my mind a lot this past week, and I guess this conversation touched a nerve.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by judi wess
By the by....Stampin UP products seem a little pricey but they are worth the price, the results are never disappointing. The same goes with fabric. Like my Mom always said "you are never sorry when you buy quality". I would buy fewer yards or pieces to have a better quality. I just love a true bargain.
You are so right!

I learned it the hard way thinking that a beginner can do with the cheapest of materials ...

It is hard to work with these low-quality materials, and I almost arrived at the conclusion that I 'did not have the right stuff' for a quilter. Most of the problems disappeared when I came to using up the better materials :D

One more lesson learned.
More to come.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Janebird
Originally Posted by loopywren
Originally Posted by Janebird
Oh, health care isn't an issue I should get started on. Suffice to say that I can't imagine adding the concern of payment to all the stress an illness causes. My sister in Virginia has just been through breast cancer and has extemely good coverage but is still out of pocket for a lot of money. Forget what I said about envy!
As does my eldest daughter, and I am waiting to see if I have Kidney cancer. it certainly puts things into perspective. This board helps more than you can all realise. Thank you to all of you.
I'm with Favorite Fabrics: Prayers are on the wing. What a beautiful way to say it!
Thank you for your prayers they are much appreciated, the news is good, I do have a tumour on my kidneys but it is benign, not malignant, so that is a relief. It is to be left alone for a while, with scans regularly just to check all is okay. The only possible op is kidney removal, to be avoided if poss. My quality of life would be even worse than now so I am not thinking about it, quilting and reading and talking to my friends on this board instead Much nicer!!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

So glad it is good news! What a relief for you. We are all happy for you!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 AM

[quote looopywren] good and bad things on both sides. it feels to me as if what started as a general discussion is getting a little unpleasant, I am very uncomfortable with the way this is going. I do not want to be part of this anymore.[/quote]

I did not take anything unpleasant from anyone's statements. Although there are so overwhelmingly many likenessess between us all no matter where we live, there are indeed still some noteworthy differences, differences that make for very interesting viewpoints from one to another.
These discussions provide understanding amongst us all.

The comments I see on all kinds of subjects on this board are heartwarming, entertaining, informative, instructive, and thought-provoking.

Nothing I've seen has made me uncomfortable.

New viewers with comments may not have read all the posts, and may not know that what they have to contribute has already been said, but their viewpoints are valid nonetheless.
If the moderators or admins choose to close a topic, that's all good, and:
you can rest assured it will pop up again!

That's just how us rolls!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, mloopwren, maybe our prayers came just in time. So glad to here good news like that.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I'm just guessing here but it seems that someone overseas could order lots of fabric from say Hancock's of Paducah as a customer sell it for $2 over the cost per yard over what it cost them and sell it out of their home and make a profit. Travel to guilds/groups in the area and sell it to sewers.
One problem is that the larger the order, the more likely you'll be caught for customs and VAT. Smaller orders have a better chance of slipping through unnoticed.

Long ago a friend of a friend used to sell fabric her husband would bring her back from business trips to the US. She charged just over her cost, but you had to be a friend and have the same taste in fabrics as herself!

Fabric.com does ship internationally, as do many of the other online sites like Fabric Depot, Hancocks of Paducah, Keepsake Quilting, Erica's (those are just some I've used over the years). Global Priority envelopes used to slide through most frequently and I sometimes had an order in less than a week! Those were the good days before money was such an issue, LOL.

Now I mainly do mini's, table runners, wallhangings or lap quilts (which are quilted on to a fleece blanket instead of batting and backing, which saves a LOT of money!)
If I came over with fabric for my friends, would that be taxable? If I am bringing it for myself, is that taxable?

We have not decided which country we will be flying into, but do all countries (England, Ireland, France) tax things I, a US citizen, would bring in for my personal use or for gifts for my quilter friends. Is there an amount you can bring in without being taxed. In the US you can bring back $600 worth of merchandie without being taxed.

I am asking a lot of questions because I don't see how they can tax me on personal property I'm bringing in. This may be a quilting vacation for me.

This upsets me that a few yards are likely to be taxed.
You will go through customs when you arrive. You usually have the choice to go through the anything to declare or the nothing to declare channels. However, they do spot checks. I am not sure of the import rules but will do some research for you and pm you if that is ok?

Have a wonderful trip
Yes, PM me when you get the info. I am really looking forward to the trip although planning is part of the fun. Also, if possible, could you find out one more thing, please. Where were the US Army Air Corp stationed during WWII? Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Oh thankgoodness it's benign! Keep watch is by far the best of all possible news.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
[quote looopywren] good and bad things on both sides. it feels to me as if what started as a general discussion is getting a little unpleasant, I am very uncomfortable with the way this is going. I do not want to be part of this anymore.
I did not take anything unpleasant from anyone's statements. Although there are so overwhelmingly many likenessess between us all no matter where we live, there are indeed still some noteworthy differences, differences that make for very interesting viewpoints from one to another.
These discussions provide understanding amongst us all.

The comments I see on all kinds of subjects on this board are heartwarming, entertaining, informative, instructive, and thought-provoking.

Nothing I've seen has made me uncomfortable.

New viewers with comments may not have read all the posts, and may not know that what they have to contribute has already been said, but their viewpoints are valid nonetheless.
If the moderators or admins choose to close a topic, that's all good, and:
you can rest assured it will pop up again!

That's just how us rolls!

.[/quote]

I was getting uncomfortable because the thread went on to medical charges comparing Uk and USA, this was what made me uncomfortable, as I had a similar medical situation to the lady concerned which was particularly traumatic at the time, the lady did not take offence. I only meant I was not going to watch this thread anymore. Sorry if this was misunderstood. No offence was meant at all, I love this board and read everything I can and participitate too and hope to start doing some of the things I have bookmarked when I have finished my applique.. I am shy and have found it difficult to get involved and am still learning. I see you as my new friends.